4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2020 12:06 AM by TePl_1066611

FX3 temperature sensitivity

TePl_1066611

I'm running an FX3 interface in Bulk mode with a Sony IMX304 cmos imager, but periodically get data error crashes. I find that this gets worse as the FX3 chip temperature drops - it's typically good at an ambient of above about 30C, but very bad as it approaches 0C . The chip is an industrial spec. version, so I'm surprised that it is so temperature sensitive. Does anyone have a suggestion about improving this result?

Thanks!

Terry

• 1. Re: FX3 temperature sensitivity
          HemanthR_06

Hi Terry,

Can you please provide more details on what it means when you get data error crashes (and by observing/getting what events is the data error crash occur)? Also please let us know how is the issue narrowed down to FX3?

Regards,

Hemanth

• 2. Re: FX3 temperature sensitivity
            TePl_1066611

Hi Hemanth,

The errors are mostly partial image downloads, with the good data turning into garbage at 30 - 50% of the way down the frame. Sometimes, the camera just 'locks up' and has to be re-started.

It was originally noticed that the images were much more reliable when the camera was operated indoors (as against outside in cold air). I then tried applying heat to specific components, using an SMT resistor, and found that warming the FX3 greatly improved the results.

Regards,

Terry

• 3. Re: FX3 temperature sensitivity
              HemanthR_06

Hi Terry,

Is it possible to collect UART debug logs and USB traces to see what errors are seen in FX3? Where does the data come from, to FX3 - Is it from FPGA or Image sensor?

Regards,

Hemanth

• 4. Re: FX3 temperature sensitivity
                TePl_1066611

Hi Hemanth,

A USB trace might be possible – I will see what we can do. The data is supplied to the FX3 by a Lattice MachXO2 FPGA, but we are pretty sure that this does produce good data over a wide temperature range.

Regards,

Terry