2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2020 6:24 AM by JoLE_3168931

Full duplex I2S with PSOC 6 2M (CY8CPROTO-062-4343W)

JoLE_3168931

Hello,

we are currently trying to port an audio WICED application running on 43907 to the CY8CPROTO-062-4343W board and Modustoolbox 2.0.

While the Wi-Fi part could be easily adapted, the audio part is more tricky.

The application handles full duplex audio streams through an I2S port, and unfortunately PSOC 6 SDK has no high level audio driver managing the transfer of audio periods, unlike WICED.

I just looked to port the PSOC 6 audio driver from WICED (WICED\platform\MCU\PSoC6\peripherals\platform_i2s.c, for PSOC 6 1M) but I found two annoying things:

A)

/*

* The I2S block consists of two sub-blocks:

* I2S Transmit (Tx) block: word select (tx_ws), clock (tx_sck) and data (tx_sdo) output signals.

* I2S Receive (Rx) block: word select (rx_ws), clock (rx_sck) and data (rx_sdi) input signals.

* When PSoC6 is driving both TX and RX as I2S Master, the TX and RX clock lines can be out of sync.

* If the TX/RX clock lines are connected together to an audio codec, it may not be able to output audio.

* In such settings, simultaneous RX and TX (full duplex I2S) audio can be achieved as follows:

* I2S transmitter is in slave mode.

* I2S receiver is in master mode.

* (Also note that AC spec. should be satisfied at the PSoC6 pin in order to function correctly)

*/

B) The copy of the audio data seems to not be performed with DMA at all, the CPU inserts each sample one at a time in the I2S FIFO:

static void service_transfer_complete( platform_i2s_direction_t dir )

{

if ( num_samples > 0 )

{

samples = (uint16_t*)(&(stream->audio_buffer_ptr[stream->position + stream->data_index]));

if ( dir == PLATFORM_I2S_WRITE )

{

length = (num_samples < (I2S_TX_FIFO_SIZE - I2S_TX_FIFO_TRG_LVL)) ? num_samples : (I2S_TX_FIFO_SIZE - I2S_TX_FIFO_TRG_LVL);

while ( length > 0 )

{

Cy_I2S_WriteTxData( i2s_base, (uint32_t)(*samples) );

samples++;

num_samples--;

length--;

stream->data_index += 2;

}

}

Does these limitations still apply to the PSOC 6 2M (found on the CY8CPROTO-062-4343W board) ?

If not, could you provide a code example to manage full duplex I2S with DMA transfers, and a higher level API than I2S PDL for PSOC 6 2M ?

Thank you.