How to shield Capsense keypad against metal plate(cabinet) behind the PCB?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
AjBa_3976296
Level 2
Level 2
5 likes given First like received First like given

I'm pasting a Capsense keypad on metal cabinet. But facing problem of false detection as tracks are from behind the PCB. This part is being pasted on metal cabinet. Can somebody guide regarding this?

The hardware that I'm using is Cypress make Cy8c4245 axi483. I tried by putting insulation on back of PCB but no use.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Hari
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi AjBa_3976296

As mentioned by ShHo_1410221​, a hatched ground will solve the issue. After connecting the ground hatch, if the CapSense performance is lowered, since Cp will increase, you can connect the hatch to shield and this would improve the performance (emissions might increase though).

You can find more details regarding ground hatch and shield in CapSense design guide.

Best regards

Hari

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
ShHo_1410221
Level 3
Level 3
5 replies posted First question asked First reply posted

From my experience, I guess you need a ground plane/net to shield your capsense lines to reduce false detection. If possible add a ground layer in between your capsense traces and other traces.

Details can be found here : http://www.ti.com/lit/an/slaa576a/slaa576a.pdf

I am not an expert on this topic, so I fix my capsense issues from trial and error technique. By the way, is you metal cabinet connected to the circuit ground ? If not, try grounding it and see what happens !

0 Likes
Hari
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi AjBa_3976296

As mentioned by ShHo_1410221​, a hatched ground will solve the issue. After connecting the ground hatch, if the CapSense performance is lowered, since Cp will increase, you can connect the hatch to shield and this would improve the performance (emissions might increase though).

You can find more details regarding ground hatch and shield in CapSense design guide.

Best regards

Hari

0 Likes