Could Modustoolbox support the IAR tool chain?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
WaSe_1778651
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 50 sign-ins First solution authored

Dear Cypress team,

Recently we want to use the 89820 on Automotive project.

Almost end customer wants to use the IAR.

So could you let me know how to use the IAR toolchain when we support these projects?

Regards,

Wayne

0 Likes
1 Solution

The makefile by default uses GCC ARM 7.2.1, which comes packaged with ModusToolbox 2.0. In the makefile, the combination of variables TOOLCHAIN and CY_COMPILER_PATH are used to specify the build tools you want to use.

The other supported toolchains include the ARM Compiler and the IAR compiler, which must be installed separately.

The options for the TOOLCHAIN variable include:

• TOOLCHAIN=GCC_ARM (Uses GCC 7.2.1 provided with ModusToolbox IDE)
  • TOOLCHAIN=ARM (Uses ARM Compiler)
  • TOOLCHAIN=IAR (Uses IAR Compiler)

Based on the compiler chosen, specify the absolute path to the compiler’s bin directory using the CY_COMPILER_PATH variable.

CY_COMPILER_PATH=$(wildcard C:/Program Files (x86)/IAR Systems/Embedded Workbench 7.3/arm/bin)

CY_COMPILER_PATH=$(wildcard C:/Keil/ARM/ARMCC/bin)

Regards,

Dheeraj

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Charles_Lai
500 replies posted 250 solutions authored 250 sign-ins

Hi,

ModusToolbox is a great set of two categories: IDE and tool chains. If you go to the installation directory of MTB 2.0, you will find two folders: 'ide_2.0' and 'tools_2.0'. Theoretically the two categories can be used respectively, i.e., theoretically you can use MTB IDE with other tool chains and other IDEs with MTB tool chains.

But normally when you are not intended to use the whole MTB development set, we only recommend you using our tool chains plus other IDEs, i.e., you can use other IDEs like IAR to import MTB projects and write the code, then using our provided CLI (Command Line Interface) to configure, compile, program, and even debug.

If you would like to try this, please refer to the ModusToolbox CLI User Guide. Which will tell you how to use the ModusToolbox tool chains in command line, which enables ModusToolbox to be intergrated with other IDEs or be used in CMD.

But you are talking about using "IAR tool chains", that's to say, you are trying to avoid using our tool chains? That's not recommended because we provide tools like Project-Creator and xxx-Configurator to help generate the code which I don't think IAR tool chains is capable of. If you don't use those tools, you are not using MTB at all.

But using IAR to compile MTB projects is okay I suppose, because MTB uses GNU make systems and gcc for compiling which makes it general to other IDEs. But there is no docs about this procedure, and you have to figure it out yourself.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Best regards

C. L.

0 Likes

The makefile by default uses GCC ARM 7.2.1, which comes packaged with ModusToolbox 2.0. In the makefile, the combination of variables TOOLCHAIN and CY_COMPILER_PATH are used to specify the build tools you want to use.

The other supported toolchains include the ARM Compiler and the IAR compiler, which must be installed separately.

The options for the TOOLCHAIN variable include:

• TOOLCHAIN=GCC_ARM (Uses GCC 7.2.1 provided with ModusToolbox IDE)
  • TOOLCHAIN=ARM (Uses ARM Compiler)
  • TOOLCHAIN=IAR (Uses IAR Compiler)

Based on the compiler chosen, specify the absolute path to the compiler’s bin directory using the CY_COMPILER_PATH variable.

CY_COMPILER_PATH=$(wildcard C:/Program Files (x86)/IAR Systems/Embedded Workbench 7.3/arm/bin)

CY_COMPILER_PATH=$(wildcard C:/Keil/ARM/ARMCC/bin)

Regards,

Dheeraj

Thanks DheerajK_81​ for the information!

That's the exact answer we are looking for LOL.

Inspired by it, I find this source describing how to specify the toolchain. Try this PDF and search for "Creating an Executable".

And if you would love to see information of "Using ModusToolbox Software with a Third-Party IDE", try this PDF.

Best regards

C. L.

0 Likes