PSoC3 Chip : CY8C3866PVI-021, Using USBIO D+,D- for MiniProg3

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
SrNV_4247806
Level 1
Level 1

Application Scenario :

1.  CY8C3866PVI-021 assembled on PCB.  Secondary SWD Programming Pins USBIO D+, D- (P15[6], P15[7]) and Pin XRES (P1[2]) connected for SWD Programming.

2.  MiniProg3 Connected. 

3.  PSoC Programmer Application does not Connect to the CPU.  Target CPU not detected

4.  PSoC Creator does not detect Target in Debug

Under the same Conditions, when the Primary SWD Programming Port Pins (P1[0], P1[1]) of the CY8C3866PVI-021 are used instead of the Secondary USBIO pins, Programming happens perfectly,

The Manual mentions, that we can use either of the 2 Pairs for SWD Programming as both have the SWDCK, SWDIO Functions. But Programming happens only with Primary Pins

Please suggest Possible solution to this issue.   We would like to use the Secondary SWD pins for this purpose.

Thanks & Regards,

NVS

0 Likes
1 Solution
GeonaP_26
250 solutions authored 100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored

Make sure that you are followngSerial Wire Debug (SWD) Using USBIO Pins in PSoC® 3 and PSoC 5LP – KBA82881

What is the Programming mode (Reset or Power cycle) used? Please use power cycle mode of programming with following recommendations. Also, ensure that you are using Miniprog3 Rev*B or higher.

Ensure that,

• VDDIOx, VDDA, VDDD are shorted to VTARG of MiniProg3
  • GND of MiniProg3 and GND of the board are connected.
  • SWDCK of MiniProg3 is connected to USB D-, which in turn is connected to P15[7]of PSoC
  • SWDIO of MiniProg3 is connected to USB D+, which in turn is connected to P15[6]of PSoC

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
GeonaP_26
250 solutions authored 100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored

Make sure that you are followngSerial Wire Debug (SWD) Using USBIO Pins in PSoC® 3 and PSoC 5LP – KBA82881

What is the Programming mode (Reset or Power cycle) used? Please use power cycle mode of programming with following recommendations. Also, ensure that you are using Miniprog3 Rev*B or higher.

Ensure that,

• VDDIOx, VDDA, VDDD are shorted to VTARG of MiniProg3
  • GND of MiniProg3 and GND of the board are connected.
  • SWDCK of MiniProg3 is connected to USB D-, which in turn is connected to P15[7]of PSoC
  • SWDIO of MiniProg3 is connected to USB D+, which in turn is connected to P15[6]of PSoC
0 Likes

Thank you so much for your reply!...

Attaching the Schem of interconnected Components.   I have used RESET Cycle mode only.  Since the Target PCB has its own individual +5V VDD and the MiniProg3 was USB Powered, I was hesitant to connect VTARG to VDDD for fear of damaging.

MiniProg3 was of Rev C

Also, with the same Schem (and with Reset Cycle Mode), am able to Program the Target CPU while using Primary SWDCK/SWDIO.

Am I missing out something?  Or Do I still need to connect VTARG to VDDD and Use Power Cycle Mode?

Requesting your valuable suggestions

Thanks and Regards,

NVS

Schem.png

0 Likes

The voltage level of the programmer and the supply voltage for PSoC 3 I/O pins used in programming should be the same. USB SWD pins (P15[6], P15[7]) are powered by VDDD pin. XRES (P1[2]) pin in PSoC 3 are powered by the VDDIO1 pin.

To program using the USB SWD pins (P15[6], P15[7]) and XRES pin, the host voltage level (VDD_HOST) should be the same as the VDDD, VDDIO1 pins of PSoC 3. Please connect between host supply voltage (VDDD and VDDIO1) to the VTARG pin of the MiniProg3 connector.

0 Likes

Hi...

Thank you very much for the clarifications.  Yes, I will connect VTARG to our Target PCB's +5V Supply and check.

Will revert back in a week's time as am in a vacation.   Thank you so much once again

Best Regards,

NVS

0 Likes