Which one is easier and simplified to use between CY8CKIT-050B & CY8CKIT-040 for capacitive switch testing

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
DaC_1685686
Level 2
Level 2

Hi,

Already used CY8CKIT-040 briefly in my previous role.

At the time it did the job quite well, but i found the software a little tricky to navigate and sometimes pin location was not ideal.

I need to get a new one and i am tossing up between getting another CY8CKIT-40 or upgrading to the CY8CKIT-050.

I will be mainly testing unique capacitive membrane switch designs.

These might have at times up to 10 buttons and sometimes slider or rotary wheel.

What is the opinion between the both these boards to ease of use for a beginner?

Kind regards,

Darren

0 Likes
1 Solution
Hari
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hello DaC_1685686

CY8CKIT-040 is PSOC 4 based (PSoC 4000) whereas CY8CKIT-050 is PSoC 5LP based. PSoC 4 has a newer CapSense IP that includes advanced features and better sensing algorithm. Therefore, we recommend using the 040 over the 050 kit.

For CapSense applications, we recommend using PSoC 4000S (CY8CKIT-145-40XX), PSoC 4100S (CY8CKIT-041-41XX) or PSoC 4100S Plus (CY8CKIT-149) devices as they have the latest CapSense IP. Do let us know if it is possible to use these devices for your design.

Thanks and regards

Hari

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Hari

Hello DaC_1685686

CY8CKIT-040 is PSOC 4 based (PSoC 4000) whereas CY8CKIT-050 is PSoC 5LP based. PSoC 4 has a newer CapSense IP that includes advanced features and better sensing algorithm. Therefore, we recommend using the 040 over the 050 kit.

For CapSense applications, we recommend using PSoC 4000S (CY8CKIT-145-40XX), PSoC 4100S (CY8CKIT-041-41XX) or PSoC 4100S Plus (CY8CKIT-149) devices as they have the latest CapSense IP. Do let us know if it is possible to use these devices for your design.

Thanks and regards

Hari

0 Likes

Hi Hari,

Thanks for response.

The CY8CKIT-149 looks promising, however it might be a bit difficult as i usually previously liked to use jumper wires on keypads to plug into the I/O ports on the CY8CKIT-040 previously.

The main downside with the CY8CKIT-040 i found was the I/O ports for plugging sometimes did not have enough available and in some cases i had to cross wires as they would always end up in different places.

I am assuming i can break of the side boards and solder a right angle 2.54mm female pin header on the sides is that correct?

Speaking with a client of mine yesterday and he said he has used  CY3280 MBR3.

When i looked it up it uses capsense but could not see if it had PSoC at all.

Does this mean it would be easier or harder to use?

Kind regards,

Darren

0 Likes
Hari

Hi DaC_1685686

"I am assuming i can break of the side boards and solder a right angle 2.54mm female pin header on the sides is that correct?"

-> Yes. You can break off the side boards.

Regarding MBR devices, they are not programmable devices like PSoC. MBR is intended for CapSense applications only and can be configured using I2C to include the required number of CapSense sensors (maximum 16 sensors). The CapSense component is also tuned by SmartSense (Cypress' auto tuning algorithm) and does not provide any manual control. So, there is strict constraints on sensor design and the maximum Cp (Parasitic capacitance) cannot exceed 45pF.

Thanks and regards

Hari

0 Likes