Some basic ModusToolbox questions

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
SuMa_296631
Level 5
Level 5
50 replies posted 25 replies posted 10 replies posted

I've previously tried V1.1 and I've just installed V2. At the moment I'm stuck on some basic questions and, to be honest, I think I'll be going back to PSoC Creator until ModusToolbox is a lot more mature.

1) In a project I created under V1.1 I could load the Configurator tool by selecting the 'Quick' link (which is no longer there) or double-clicking the 'design.modus' file. Now I get the error message: "Unable to find configurator information: make: *** No rule to make target `get_app_info'.  Stop."

2) So I thought I might need to start a new project (in case the internal structure had changed and it was not automatically updated). When I click on "File > New" ModusToolbox IDE Application, I can no longer see the 'Custom Board' entry which I need

3) Even in V1.1 and still in V2 I cannot get any form of auto-complete and I cannoty find instructions on how to get this to work

4) Given an response in another top in this forum, I gather we need to write our own code to create interrupts but I find any suitable documentation. When I go to the "Documents"  tab all I get is "Could not create the view: com.cypress.studio.views.quicklinks" and the "Details" button gives a Java exception

5) Is there any equivalent to the designer graphic display that lets us add our modules and then link them together? This is far more intuitive than just clicking boxed in the Configurator tool window (based on my experience with V1.1)

6) general plea: if we are expected to write a lot more of our own code then the documentation needs to be much closer to the standard that was in the components of the Creator app. That gave all of the APIs and a lot of code examples to show how to use it. The ModusToolbox documentation (again based on the V1.1 experience) looks more like the rubbish that Doxygen creates - that relies on the programmers writing decent documentation in the code and they generally only think about the parameters to a function and now how to write code that uses that function (no code examples etc); they are programmers and not technical writers!

(a very frustrated) Susan

(Edit: Actually I think the MacOS install might not be OK - I tried to compile the code from the V1.1 and I get error messages that it cannot find the GCC compiler.)

0 Likes
1 Solution
DheerajK_81
First comment on KBA First comment on blog 5 questions asked

1) In a project I created under V1.1 I could load the Configurator tool by selecting the 'Quick' link (which is no longer there) or double-clicking the 'design.modus' file. Now I get the error message: "Unable to find configurator information: make: *** No rule to make target `get_app_info'.  Stop."

The Quick Panel will be populated once you have created a new application using File > New > ModusToolbox IDE Application. You will see the following sections listed in the quick panel. If you do not see the Quick Panel, use Window > Show View > Quick Panel. The device configurator is highlighted below.

quick_panel.PNG

Note: You will need an active internet connection as the application related files and libraries are fetched from Github.

2) So I thought I might need to start a new project (in case the internal structure had changed and it was not automatically updated). When I click on "File > New" ModusToolbox IDE Application, I can no longer see the 'Custom Board' entry which I need

Yes, Custom Board option is no longer present in MTB 2.0. When creating a new application choose the BSP which is nearest to your custom board. Once the application is created, you will find the BSP User Guide in the Documentation section (highlighted below). Click on that and check the section on "Creating a BSP for your Board"

bsp1.PNG

bsp2.PNG

Create the BSP to target the device of your choice.

3) Even in V1.1 and still in V2 I cannot get any form of auto-complete and I cannoty find instructions on how to get this to work

For auto-complete feature in both MTB 1.1 and 2.0, please use CTRL+Spacebar.

4) Given an response in another top in this forum, I gather we need to write our own code to create interrupts but I find any suitable documentation. When I go to the "Documents"  tab all I get is "Could not create the view: com.cypress.studio.views.quicklinks" and the "Details" button gives a Java exception

Yes to write code, please follow the BSP, HAL and PDL user guides listed under the Documentation section. If you aren't able to access the documents listed under Documents section, I recommend reinstalling Modus. These are part of the installation.

5) Is there any equivalent to the designer graphic display that lets us add our modules and then link them together? This is far more intuitive than just clicking boxed in the Configurator tool window (based on my experience with V1.1)

No. ModusToolbox doesn't follow a schematic based design like in PSoC Creator. You need to configure the peripherals in Device Configurator and then write firmware manually that links between them. Though this might seem like extra effort, it actually provides for better granular control over how the peripherals behave. The learning might take sometime to get used to, but trust me it will be worth it when you fully understand it

6) general plea: if we are expected to write a lot more of our own code then the documentation needs to be much closer to the standard that was in the components of the Creator app. That gave all of the APIs and a lot of code examples to show how to use it. The ModusToolbox documentation (again based on the V1.1 experience) looks more like the rubbish that Doxygen creates - that relies on the programmers writing decent documentation in the code and they generally only think about the parameters to a function and now how to write code that uses that function (no code examples etc); they are programmers and not technical writers!

We continuously strive to improve our documentation, provide more code examples to improve your experience with Cypress products. Please let us know if there is something that needs to be improved, or if there is a code example you would like and we would definitely help you. You can find the existing code examples for MTB 2.0 on our Github page. Search for repositories which start with "mtb-example-xxx".

7) I think the MacOS install might not be OK - I tried to compile the code from the V1.1 and I get error messages that it cannot find the GCC compiler.

Please follow the steps to install ModusToolbox in MacOS properly here: https://www.cypress.com/file/492936/download

Hope this answers your query

Regards,

Dheeraj

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DheerajK_81
First comment on KBA First comment on blog 5 questions asked

The Quick Panel will be populated once you have created a new application using File > New > ModusToolbox IDE Application. You will see the following sections listed in the quick panel. If you do not see the Quick Panel, use Window > Show View > Quick Panel. The device configurator is highlighted below.

quick_panel.PNG

Note: You will need an active internet connection as the application related files and libraries are fetched from Github.

Yes, Custom Board option is no longer present in MTB 2.0. When creating a new application choose the BSP which is nearest to your custom board. Once the application is created, you will find the BSP User Guide in the Documentation section (highlighted below). Click on that and check the section on "Creating a BSP for your Board"

bsp1.PNG

bsp2.PNG

Create the BSP to target the device of your choice.

For auto-complete feature in both MTB 1.1 and 2.0, please use CTRL+Spacebar.

Yes to write code, please follow the BSP, HAL and PDL user guides listed under the Documentation section. If you aren't able to access the documents listed under Documents section, I recommend reinstalling Modus. These are part of the installation.

No. ModusToolbox doesn't follow a schematic based design like in PSoC Creator. You need to configure the peripherals in Device Configurator and then write firmware manually that links between them. Though this might seem like extra effort, it actually provides for better granular control over how the peripherals behave. The learning might take sometime to get used to, but trust me it will be worth it when you fully understand it

We continuously strive to improve our documentation, provide more code examples to improve your experience with Cypress products. Please let us know if there is something that needs to be improved, or if there is a code example you would like and we would definitely help you. You can find the existing code examples for MTB 2.0 on our Github page. Search for repositories which start with "mtb-example-xxx".

7) I think the MacOS install might not be OK - I tried to compile the code from the V1.1 and I get error messages that it cannot find the GCC compiler.

Please follow the steps to install ModusToolbox in MacOS properly here: https://www.cypress.com/file/492936/download

Hope this answers your query

Regards,

Dheeraj

1) OK - it works after I have created a new project. Does this mean that projects need to be re-written when we upgrade to V2?

2) That works BUT it does seem a backwards step to not be able to create a blank project  from scratch

3) Got it - thanks. I must admit that I was expecting it to be more automatic like it is with Visual Studio etc.

4) The Java exception seems to go away for the new project. Again, does this mean that it is not possible to migrate from previous versions?

5) Pity - the graphic display was a very good way to view your project (I'm a visual person!)

6) I'll start another thread about the documentation rather than drag this one on

7) I didn't need to do anything else to my installation (I've had Xcode installed for years so have the latest version complete with all of the command line tools). Once I created a new project it all worked well but again this seems to make migration impossible.

Susan

0 Likes

Does this mean that projects need to be re-written when we upgrade to V2?

The PDL APIs used in 1.1 are still relevant for 2.0 and hence they will be the same. But the new BSP and HAL APIs (optional) need to be added to be in accordance with the new flow.

2) That works BUT it does seem a backwards step to not be able to create a blank project  from scratch

Thank you for the feedback. We will definitely try to make this process easier in the future releases.

3. Again, does this mean that it is not possible to migrate from previous versions?

Please refer to the Design Impact section in the release notes: https://www.cypress.com/file/492961/download

Regards,

Dheeraj