BCM20736: No notification under Android 4.4.2 and 4.3 over Samsung devices

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

I have a problem under Android and with only certain devices.

I'm using Wiced SDK 2.2.1 and BCM20736.

Problem is that I'm unable to receive notification when a characteristic changes.

This doesn't happen under windows or under IOS. It happens under Android 4.4.2 and 4.3 and only on Samsung devices, except galaxy tab.

It works for example on galaxy note with Android 5.0.1 and on huwaei with 4.4.2.

Searching on the net I found that someone had a similar problem with TI cc2541 and they solved it  changing DEFAULT_CONN_PAUSE_PERIPHERAL and GAPROLE_PARAM_UPDATE_ENABLE.

bluetooth lowenergy - Android BLE notification on Samsung s4(Fixed) - Stack Overflow

I don't know meaning of these parameters. Is possible to apply same corrections on BCM20736?

I hope you can help me.

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Franco,

Sorry, we don't know the notification limit on Android.

Thanks

JT

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
BoonT_56
Employee
Employee
500 likes received 250 likes received 100 likes received

Not sure what could be the problem. May I suggest you walk through the below?

Testing a WICED Smart Tag with Android Devices

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi fspediacci,

If you enable traces it may give us some clue as to what is happening.

extern UINT32 blecm_configFlag ;

blecm_configFlag |= BLECM_DBGUART_LOG | BLECM_DBGUART_LOG_L2CAP | BLECM_DBGUART_LOG_SMP;

Thanks,

Kevin

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

currently I'm working to another task, because I was locked on this.

I'll try a comparison with Walk trough application behaviour.

If also in this case there are not notification, then I'll send you the log.

Thank you for support

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

we restarted working on that issue and we found sources of problem:

1) Notification subscription is not synchronous and there is no callback confirming that subscription had success. For that reason if APP subscrives to several notifications only last request has success, others are overwritten. Note that function immediately returns success, but operation is not yet done.

Solution: software delay after subscription.

2) Even solving problem1 ther is a 7 characteristics subscription limit into this OS. If APP subscrives to more of 7 notifications simply last subscriptions have no effect.

Solution: none.

Regarding problem 2:

Does anyone know if this 7 notification limit is related to a single service or if it's a global limit?

In first case I coult split mi service in several services, each with less than 7 characteristics with notification.

Thank you

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Franco,

Sorry, we don't know the notification limit on Android.

Thanks

JT

0 Likes