PSOC 4 Battery Charging

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
JeCr_2235141
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 5 replies posted 10 questions asked

I would prefer to integrate with lithium ion battery. Is there some application note around this kind of integration?

I am currently evaluating MCP73171 from microchip to power lithium ion battery.  Needs to be lithium ion so as to demonstrate some specific IOT projects we are working on.  In PSOC 4 documentation there is reference to coin cell (LiPO4) but I cannot use this approach.  There is also reference to not operating PSOC4 using 5V.  So I am curious if LIthium Ion is compatible (can range between 3.3V and 5V).  I did find this Lithium Ion battery but not sure if it is compatible with MCP yet (waiting to hear from microchip.

So basic questions:

• Is there application note i can reference for PSOC4 rechargeable battery integration
  • Is Lithium Ion Battery compatible with PSOC4
  • Is there recommended maximum voltage for PSOC4 battery
  • Is there recommended recharging chip for Lithium Ion battery for PSOC4.

Appreciate any answers to any of these questions.

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution
Vasanth
250 sign-ins 500 solutions authored First question asked

Hi Jerome,

Is there application note i can reference for PSOC4 rechargeable battery integration

There is no application note dedicated for PSoC4 battery charging. We have PSoC 3/5 device Li ion battery charger application note cane be referred where PSoC 5 is used for battery charging application.

Yes.

The absolute maximum VDD for PSoC4 device is 6( which the device can with stand). The device can work voltages below that till 1.8V.

There is no recommended recharging chip. You just have to make sure the ratings specified in the datasheet are met. Do check the absolute maximum ratings and DC specifications.

Best Regards,
Vasanth

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
Vasanth
250 sign-ins 500 solutions authored First question asked

Hi Jerome,

Is there application note i can reference for PSOC4 rechargeable battery integration

There is no application note dedicated for PSoC4 battery charging. We have PSoC 3/5 device Li ion battery charger application note cane be referred where PSoC 5 is used for battery charging application.

Yes.

The absolute maximum VDD for PSoC4 device is 6( which the device can with stand). The device can work voltages below that till 1.8V.

There is no recommended recharging chip. You just have to make sure the ratings specified in the datasheet are met. Do check the absolute maximum ratings and DC specifications.

Best Regards,
Vasanth

0 Likes