What are advantages of PSOC6 vs competitive BLE IC, like Nordic, Silabs, ST, Microchip and etc?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
ElLi_4422766
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I ordered and just got PSOC6 prototyping kit and I am going to evaluate it.

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/development-kitsboards/psoc-6-ble-prototyping-kit-cy8cproto-06...

The reason  for the evaluation is mostly curiosity and maybe a preparation to a real project in future. PSOC 6 looks different than the rest BLE chips. I wonder if one here evaluated PSOC6 along with some other BLE devices and decided to chose PSOC? Would like to hear what were the reasons, pros and cons.

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

The main difference between "other" BLE devices and PSoC6 is the concept of "Components" that enable the PSoC to perform quite a lot more than just handling BLE. There are something like 100 (I never counted) configurable components as serial interfaces, AD/DA Converters, DMA, Logic elements,FFs,lookup tables and more. Additionally the PSoC is a dual MCU chip which allows for running independent processes on each internal MCU. The letter "S" in PSoC stands for "System" which means that you have the advantage to run most (if not all) of your final project in just one chip.

Bob

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

The main difference between "other" BLE devices and PSoC6 is the concept of "Components" that enable the PSoC to perform quite a lot more than just handling BLE. There are something like 100 (I never counted) configurable components as serial interfaces, AD/DA Converters, DMA, Logic elements,FFs,lookup tables and more. Additionally the PSoC is a dual MCU chip which allows for running independent processes on each internal MCU. The letter "S" in PSoC stands for "System" which means that you have the advantage to run most (if not all) of your final project in just one chip.

Bob