CY4531 Display Port Dongle Example

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
GrCa_1363456
Level 6
Level 6
50 likes received Beta tester First comment on KBA

I'd like to demonstrate a Display Port Dongle using CY4531.

Is there an existing project targeting CYPD3125 on the CY4531 kit that emulates a Display Port Dongle?

Will additional code be required to program the PS8740B Parade Switch on the CY4531 kit?

Note: The Display Port Demo in CY4531 Kit Guide is in the opposite direction (Video data into Display Port then out of USB-C)

It appears the dp_dongle example targeted for CYPD3120 is in the correct direction (Video data into USB-C then out of Display Port)

If a Display Port Dongle example for CY4531 isn't readily available...

There appear to be three issues to overcome if starting with the CYPD3120_dp_dongle example:

1) An error when attempting to build the project in PSoC Creator (memset error described below)

2) Generating a CYPD3125 Bootloader - this one just takes time to remember how to create a new Bootloader after changing the device from CYPD3120 to CYPD3125. (Will the CYPD3120 project successfully load into a CYPD3125?)

3) Defining all other kit settings including PS8740B Parade Switch.

I selected "CYPD3120-40LQXI_dp_dongle.cywrk" example from PSoC Creator's Start Page tab under Start > Kits > EZ-PD CCGx SDK

I then performed an "Update Components" on the project

When running a Clean and Build, I get the following error:

Description = prg.M0120:Build error: passing argument 1 of 'memset' discards ' volatile' qualifier from pointer target type [-Werror=discarded-array-qulaifiers]

File = usb.c

Error Location = line 413, col 12

The error points to line 413 in usb.c which is:

memset(&gl_usb.active_alt_inf, 0, USB_NUM_INTERFACE);

What options are available to debug this error or alternatively find a working dp_dongle demo?

Thanks in advance for your support,

Greg

0 Likes
1 Solution
YiZ_31
1000 replies posted 750 replies posted 500 replies posted

Hi Greg,

It is impossible to realize Type-C to DP function on CY4531. Because the MUX used here (PS8740B) is a one-way switch. You can see its data flow:

pastedImage_0.png

As for the error you have met when compiling, I suggest you to use PSoC Creator 3.3 to avoid updating component and other syntax error.

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/psoc-creator-software-archive

Regards,
Eddie

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
YiZ_31

Hi Greg,

It is impossible to realize Type-C to DP function on CY4531. Because the MUX used here (PS8740B) is a one-way switch. You can see its data flow:

pastedImage_0.png

As for the error you have met when compiling, I suggest you to use PSoC Creator 3.3 to avoid updating component and other syntax error.

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/psoc-creator-software-archive

Regards,
Eddie

0 Likes

Eddie,

Thanks for the clarification. I misinterpreted the Parade PS8740B function, thinking it was a true switch.

Does Cypress have any kit or hardware that can demonstrate the USB-C to Display port function?

Cypress does offer a USB-C to DP Reference Design @ https://www.cypress.com/documentation/reference-designs/ez-pd-ccg3-usb-type-c-displayport-cable-solu...

And appears a demo board has been developed (though it has some jumper wires)

Is there any way to demonstrate a USB-C to Display Port solution with existing hardware?

Greg

0 Likes
YiZ_31

Hi Greg,

I'm sorry we do not have existing kit that can do demonstrate this function. But if you are interested in our USB-C to DP Reference Design, you can contact our local sales and FAE. They can lend some of our demo board to you.

Regards,

Eddie

0 Likes