Xiaomi Phones and Tablets cannot see BCM20736S Unless using Smart Explorer

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Broadcom Team,

We have a very specific issue that seems to be most prevalent on Huawei phones and tablets since we have replicated the issue on two different devices.

On all other Android Devices if we go to Bluetooth Settings, and Search for our Broadcom device, we can see it clearly show up in the listing and available to pair.

However, on Huawei devices it doesn't show up.

It does however appear if we use the "Wiced Smart Explorer" app.

What's more, if we select to pair with it through the Wiced Smart Explorer App, then the device will work with our game.

Have you seen this issue before? We want to understand why this is happening, and how to make the device show up in the standard Bluetooth settings.

Thanks much,

Ethan

andrew997 boont vik86 mwf_mmfae

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

This could have been an issue with the Bluetooth stack on the phone and the code that filters the devices that are displayed in the menu.

For example, most Android phones do not list advertisers that do not send scan response packet. However, it was possible to view the advertisers using other apps.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

Which Huawei phone are you using for testing?  Ascend Mate 2 with Android v4.3 (note that Android 4.3/4.4 supports Central mode only)?

Huawei Ascend Mate 2 review | Android Central

I could not find a teardown online for this unit, but I believe on the older non-US focused Ascend phones, they leveraged a TI WiLink WL1873 GNSS/WLAN/BT chipset. Not sure if this is the issue or not.

Will the Huawei phone connect to another BT accessory you have available?

On the Android phones that connect with no issue, do you know their Android version and associated BT chipset manufacture?

I'm honestly not aware of any connectivity issues with Huawei phones/tablets.  Seems this would have come up in the past in either Europe or Asia where these phones are more predominant.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I am sorry about that, this is actually a Xiaomi phone and a Xiaomi tablet. I can work on getting the model numbers, So far I have "Xiaomi Tablet PC" and Xiaomi HM2A

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

One is a Xiaomi Mi Pad Android 4.4.4

http://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_pad_7_9-6365.php

Uses and NVIDIA Tegra K1 with BT 4.0, not sure the BT chipset.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

So it looks like we have this issue with both Xiaomi and Huawei. Is there any standardized way to debug why we can see our device through the Smart Explorer but not in the OS bluetooth settings?

andrew997 boont vik86 mwf_mmfae

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been informed that the BT chipset in the Huawei 6 plus that cannot see our device is a Broadcom bcm4334. Our module is BCM20736S.

andrew997
vik86

boont

mwf_mmfae

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

This could have been an issue with the Bluetooth stack on the phone and the code that filters the devices that are displayed in the menu.

For example, most Android phones do not list advertisers that do not send scan response packet. However, it was possible to view the advertisers using other apps.

0 Likes