Can Somebody Help Me to Locate a Make File ?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
GaAn_541926
Level 1
Level 1
First like given

Support Gurus:

Where is the best place to add some command line options to the make process in Wiced?

I want to add something like:

objcopy -j .text -j .data -O ihex <input-file.elf> <output-file.hex>

to the "make command file" to generate a Hex file from ELF file, since this feature has not been implemented in the Wiced Studio package.

I have found the “tools / makefiles” folder, but there are so many “mk” files that it is too confusing to figure out which one to use, and which line to modify, or even if that is the correct place.  I want the Hex files to be generated ALL THE TIME, no matter what project I am making.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Garry Anderson

<design@robustfirmware.com>

0 Likes
1 Solution
RaktimR_11
500 replies posted 250 replies posted 100 replies posted

By default wiced generates a .bin file after the .elf is created which you can easily find in the build directory. I am not sure which platform you are using. But generally you can go to 43xxx_Wi-Fi/tools/makefiles/wiced_toolchain_ARM_GNU.mk and mark

FINAL_OUTPUT_SUFFIX :=.hex

If you are on 4390x based devices, you need to change the tiny_bootloader binary type as well which can be done in 43xxx_Wi-Fi/WICED/platform/MCU/BCM4390x/BCM94390x_targets.mk

TINY_BOOTLOADER_BIN_FILE := $(BUILD_DIR)/$(TINY_BOOTLOADER_TARGET)/binary/$(TINY_BOOTLOADER_TARGET).hex

However, I have not flashed the hex file and done a foolproof testing regarding functionalities. But this should be able to help you in narrowing down the makefiles. If you perform the above mentioned changes, each time you perform the build you should be able to generate a hex file instead of the .bin file.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
RaktimR_11
500 replies posted 250 replies posted 100 replies posted

By default wiced generates a .bin file after the .elf is created which you can easily find in the build directory. I am not sure which platform you are using. But generally you can go to 43xxx_Wi-Fi/tools/makefiles/wiced_toolchain_ARM_GNU.mk and mark

FINAL_OUTPUT_SUFFIX :=.hex

If you are on 4390x based devices, you need to change the tiny_bootloader binary type as well which can be done in 43xxx_Wi-Fi/WICED/platform/MCU/BCM4390x/BCM94390x_targets.mk

TINY_BOOTLOADER_BIN_FILE := $(BUILD_DIR)/$(TINY_BOOTLOADER_TARGET)/binary/$(TINY_BOOTLOADER_TARGET).hex

However, I have not flashed the hex file and done a foolproof testing regarding functionalities. But this should be able to help you in narrowing down the makefiles. If you perform the above mentioned changes, each time you perform the build you should be able to generate a hex file instead of the .bin file.