Can someone tell me what the hell Creator 4.2 does with the network when compiling?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
RaNa_4376446
Level 1
Level 1
First like received

The Task Manager shows me a 100% Ethernet load during compilation! I looked into the Task Manager because the compile process was so incredibly slow. If I unplug the Ethernet cable and compile it has 0% Ethernet load, of course, and the compiler has normal speed again. I'm not amused about that.

So what does Cypress do with the network!!!

1 Solution

You can check network activity of PSoC Creator by observing the process logs.

Please go to: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon

Download process monitor and run the Procmon.exe after extracting. Run the application initially without any filters. Once the process names start to pop up, open psoc creator. Once psoc creator is open, in Process Monitor window, click on "Filters" at the top. Then add "Process name" is "psoc_creator.exe" as shown in the screenshot below. Click apply.

process_name.png

Now you should see only the psoc creator logs. After this build your project and check the "Operation" column to see any internet access and the function which is calling it.

I see some TCP connections back and forth initially which should be Creator trying to load the blog in startup page. I didn't see anything abnormal about it.

After running, please share your logs so that we can get more insight into why its happening in your PC.

Regards,

Dheeraj

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

I had similar issues when there was a mapped folder on the server not accessible (deleted, bad rights etc)

check for that.

Bob

Hi Bob

thanks for your reply.

Yes, my computer is connected to the company network and of course I do not have access rights to all folders. But there is no reason for the compiler to access anything in the network. My workspace and all sources are local. All paths are local. What is the compiler doing on the net and how do I stop it? Was this unavailable folder included in your project or in a Creator configuration setting?

Rainer

0 Likes

As you know you can map a drive letter to a network folder. When that folder is renamed/removed not only Creator chokes. Check in Creator under "Project -> Dependencies" and in the "Project -> Build settings" for paths that do not exist.

Bob

0 Likes

Hello Rainer,

Adding to Bob's response, go to Tools > Options > Project Management and ensure all the paths provided are local. The network is used merely for displaying the blog content on the Start-Up page and also to display the code examples from the repository when you go to File > Code Example.

Not sure why the Task Manager shows 100% load during compilation. Add psoc_creator.exe to the list of allowed apps in the Firewall settings and check if it helps.

There must be some issue with your Ethernet. Can you try copying a file into a pen drive when the Ethernet cable is connected? Check if its slow.

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes

Hello Dheeraj,

pathes are all local.

Massive and continuous access to the network always occurs when the compiler is working. Subjectively judged the access seems to be more entensive when I'm connected to the company network. If I am connected via WLAN at another location, the compiler also accesses the network, but it seems to generate less traffic. However, it doesn't seem to access the Internet itself. The WLAN router does not show any increased activity in its Internet traffic monitor.

The paths in the compiler calls in the output console also only contain local paths. Then why should the compiler access the network at all? Which implicit paths does it still use? Normally, all paths are passed explicitly to the compiler. I must not use pen drives. So cannot try it.

This is a very annoying problem because the compiler becomes very slow and I can't and don't want to pull the network cable all the time. The other thing is that I have to report this to our IT security at some point. And they are not happy with undefined accesses to the network.

Regards

Rainer

0 Likes

Do you have any endpoint protection or firewall in place? Please disable them and check if it helps.

Regards,
Dheeraj

0 Likes

You can check network activity of PSoC Creator by observing the process logs.

Please go to: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon

Download process monitor and run the Procmon.exe after extracting. Run the application initially without any filters. Once the process names start to pop up, open psoc creator. Once psoc creator is open, in Process Monitor window, click on "Filters" at the top. Then add "Process name" is "psoc_creator.exe" as shown in the screenshot below. Click apply.

process_name.png

Now you should see only the psoc creator logs. After this build your project and check the "Operation" column to see any internet access and the function which is calling it.

I see some TCP connections back and forth initially which should be Creator trying to load the blog in startup page. I didn't see anything abnormal about it.

After running, please share your logs so that we can get more insight into why its happening in your PC.

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes
NoriTan
Employee
Employee
25 sign-ins 5 questions asked 10 sign-ins

When I created a workspace at the OneDrive folder, network access increased as follows.

GS004442.png

There are huge access to backup so many intermediate files generated by PSoC Creator.

I don't know you are using similar network drive, the folder with a backup drive feature is not recommended to put a workspace.