S25FL256S - is 256-KB sector option configurable?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
alhu_4314241
Level 1
Level 1

I recently wrote code for an S25FL256S part and got it all working like we needed.

When I moved to a different board (same model), my code wouldn't work. Debugging, I saw that the CFI block was returning 01h (4-KB parameter sectors with uniform 64-KB sectors) for Sector Architecture instead of 00h (Uniform 256-KB sectors). I have been reading through the data sheet and see some things that make me think this is part-specific (based on a table that shows it's specified in the extended part number string), and other places refer to it as an "option" which makes me think it can be configured.

Either we have different parts on our boards, or it's configurable and this one was configured differently from the factory (we'd never used the flash part until I wrote this code).

Can the 32MB part be configured to use uniform 256K sectors, or is this hard-coded based on the part variation, and we have a different part?

Thoughts appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Solution
NoriTan
Employee
Employee
25 sign-ins 5 questions asked 10 sign-ins

S25FL256S has two options as you found.

GS004371.png

But the OPTION is specified at the manufacturing and the part number for each option are different at a suffix digit.

GS004372.png

GS004373.png

So, it is not available to re-configure the chip.

All images are contained in the "S25FL128S/S25FL256S Datasheet Document Number: 001-98283"

Regards,

Noriaki

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
NoriTan
Employee
Employee
25 sign-ins 5 questions asked 10 sign-ins

S25FL256S has two options as you found.

GS004371.png

But the OPTION is specified at the manufacturing and the part number for each option are different at a suffix digit.

GS004372.png

GS004373.png

So, it is not available to re-configure the chip.

All images are contained in the "S25FL128S/S25FL256S Datasheet Document Number: 001-98283"

Regards,

Noriaki

0 Likes

Thank you. I verified out bill-of-material and it confirmed what I am seeing. Since I could not find references to reconfiguring the part, I expected this was the case.

And now I go back to completing my flash software to support both versions 😉  I'd only written it to expect 32MB and 64MB parts with 256K sectors. This is what happens when we try to save time.

0 Likes