5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2019 5:06 AM by DheerajK_81

PSoC 6 BLE Prototyping Kit not working after changing the lifecycle

AlAd_4179981

I used Psoc Programmer command line (ppcli) to change the lifecyle of the PSoC 6 BLE Prototyping Kit (CY8CPROTO-063-BLE) from normal to secure with debug

I did the following steps:

ppcli_secure_with_debug.PNG

I can confirm that the lifecycle changed using Psoc Programmer GUI, I can also read and write hex files to the kit.

but the problem is that the kit is not working any more.

Is there something that I am missing, my goal was to protect the hex from being illegally read from the flash by the customer after delivering the kit.

• 1. Re: PSoC 6 BLE Prototyping Kit not working after changing the lifecycle
          DheerajK_81

Please refer to the following threads:

(1) flash read protection

(2) Re: PSoC6 Programmer COM API PSoC6_WriteProtection()

The parameter secureRestrict in the API is a 16 byte array which is used to set the corresponding bits in the E-Fuse Secure Access Restrict Registers EFUSE_DATA_SECURE_ACCESS_RESTRICT0 and EFUSE_DATA_SECURE_ACCESS_RESTRICT1. Please note that one fuse in the target device is represented by one byte in data file. The values mean the following:

(1) 0x00 --> Not blown

(2) 0x01 --> Blown

(3) 0xFF --> Ignore

Find out more about the E-Fuse registers in Page#652 of the Register TRM.

If your goal is only to protect the hex, then only set the FLASH_ALLOWED bits.

3.PNG

Did you debug to see if the pointer enters the main of your application? Please elaborate on what you mean by kit isn't working anymore.

Regards,

Dheeraj

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: PSoC 6 BLE Prototyping Kit not working after changing the lifecycle
            AlAd_4179981

I tried the following code

string strError;

pp.SetAcquireMode("RESET", out strError);

pp.SetProtocol(PP_COM_Wrapper.enumInterfaces.SWD, out strError);

pp.DAP_Acquire(out strError);

byte[] secureRestrict = new byte[16];

byte[] deadRestrict = new byte[16];

bool voltageVerification = false;

byte lifecycle = 1 << 1;

for (int i = 0; i < secureRestrict.Length; i++)

secureRestrict[i] = 0xFF;

for (int i = 0; i < deadRestrict.Length; i++)

deadRestrict[i] = 0xFF;

secureRestrict[8] = 0x01;

secureRestrict[9] = 0x01;

secureRestrict[10] = 0x01;

hr = pp.PSoC6_WriteProtection(lifecycle, secureRestrict, deadRestrict,

voltageVerification, out strError);

if (SUCCEEDED(hr))

Console.WriteLine("Protection Data written successfully!");

else

Console.WriteLine(strError);

and it fails the first time but now it shows the following message

eFuse byte at address 0x14 was not empty, expected - 0, but was - 155.

Failed!

what I mean by the device is not working anymore is that my application code is not being executed (UART Debugging Logs and LEDs )

• 3. Re: PSoC 6 BLE Prototyping Kit not working after changing the lifecycle
              DheerajK_81

You had already programmed the lifecycle byte by writing 02 in the first post. Please clarify,

• Were you attempting to write to the same device?
              • Did you get "Protection Data written successfully" printed on the console?
              • Did you program the secure image and your application code before making the transition?

Please share your project so that we can get more insight on the issue.

Regards,

Dheeraj

• 4. Re: PSoC 6 BLE Prototyping Kit not working after changing the lifecycle
                AlAd_4179981

I was trying a different device

I didn't get "Protection Data written successfully" on the screen, instead I got an error message

I only programmed my application code 

my project doesn't contain the secure image, it only contain my application.

could that be the problem, do I have to create a secure image as described in the document, then change the llifecycle ?