What is an appropriate DMA + TCPWM trigger configuration for using SWAP and CC_BUFF?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
GaLo_4308236
Level 1
Level 1
First like given

Based on the original closed thread here: Best path using DMA to transfer 100kB from sram into tcpwm configured PWM?

Progress:

So now I've got DMA transferring the big array into the TCPWM's capture register.

Any tips on what is needed to have DMA play nice with the TCPWM's TCPWM_CNT_CC_BUFF register and the buffering features it provides?

Also hoping someone can stop me if this is madness, but I'm clocking everything at 100MHz no dividers.

CLK_FAST,CLK_PERI, CLK_SLOW (and thus DMA), and the clock for the TCPWM all 100MHz.

Will I be able to reliably use the triggering features considering the above?

JimT_21

aceh_327141

0 Likes
1 Solution

I had been using the period swap option however,

I had been assuming the x loop increment count was continuing to increment beyond 256 for each Y loop.

Reading the pseudo-code provided in the technical reference manual is what made it click for me.

Nested for loop and the inner loop re-initializes x to 0 for each iteration of the outer loop.

Setting the Y loop increment to 256 immediately gave me the results I wanted.

I'm not near the sources at the moment but I will post the configuration I used as the answer to this question.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
GaLo_4308236
Level 1
Level 1
First like given

static void configureDma(uint16_t *descriptor0SourceAddress)

{

/* Configure DMA Descriptor to change the PWM compare value per provided buffer */

dmaDescriptorPwmLed0.srcAddress = (void *) descriptor0SourceAddress;

dmaDescriptorPwmLed0.dstAddress = (void *) &(PWM_LED_HW->CNT[PWM_LED_NUM].CC_BUFF);

dmaDescriptorPwmLed1.srcAddress = (void *) dmaDescriptorPwmLed0.srcAddress + (256 * 256);

dmaDescriptorPwmLed1.dstAddress = (void *) &(PWM_LED_HW->CNT[PWM_LED_NUM].CC_BUFF);

Cy_DMA_Descriptor_Init(&DMA_PWM_LED_Descriptor_0, &dmaDescriptorPwmLed0);

Cy_DMA_Descriptor_Init(&DMA_PWM_LED_Descriptor_1, &dmaDescriptorPwmLed1);

/* Initialize DMA channel */

Cy_DMA_Channel_Init(DMA_PWM_LED_HW, DMA_PWM_LED_CHANNEL, &DMA_PWM_LED_channelConfig);

/*  Enables DMA channel interrupt mask */

Cy_DMA_Channel_SetInterruptMask(DMA_PWM_LED_HW, DMA_PWM_LED_CHANNEL, CY_DMA_INTR_MASK);

/* Enable DMA Channel */

Cy_DMA_Channel_Enable(DMA_PWM_LED_HW, DMA_PWM_LED_CHANNEL);

/* Enable DMA hardware block */

Cy_DMA_Enable(DMA_PWM_LED_HW);

}

Writing to .CC_BUFF now but not sure what triggers to use and how they'll resolve.

Current failing approach is:

PWM Trigger output on OVERFLOW -> DMA trigger input     and    DMA trigger output -> PWM trigger input SWAP

I get the feeling the above approach is too naive to be true and that I might need another DMA channel?

Next I'll probably start adjusting clocks to something more sane to ensure the triggers have enough time to be caught per the technical reference.

0 Likes

Hi,

try the overflow to trigger both the TCPWM swap as well as the DMA start. The DMA will start the data transfer with a few clock cycles delay (as mentioned in the Architecture TRM) leaving the TCPWM enough time to swap out the data.

Achim

Or just use the "Enable Period Swap" option in the component configuration.

0 Likes

I had been using the period swap option however,

I had been assuming the x loop increment count was continuing to increment beyond 256 for each Y loop.

Reading the pseudo-code provided in the technical reference manual is what made it click for me.

Nested for loop and the inner loop re-initializes x to 0 for each iteration of the outer loop.

Setting the Y loop increment to 256 immediately gave me the results I wanted.

I'm not near the sources at the moment but I will post the configuration I used as the answer to this question.

0 Likes
GaLo_4308236
Level 1
Level 1
First like given

If I don't answer this this weekend consider it answered.

0 Likes