3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2019 3:16 AM by rokc_4342611

How can I use openocd 0.10.0 with superspeed explorer kit

rokc_4342611

Hi All,

I've got the super speed explorer kit. At present I'm able to use the USB-Serial IC (CY7C65215) acts as a USB-JTAG device by following the CYUSB3KIT-003 SuperSpeed Explorer Kit User Guide.

But I was disappointed to see that the sdk 1.3.4 uses Open On-Chip Debugger 0.7.0 (2013-11-08-13:13) with support for CY7C65215.

Issue is that it does not support rtos aware debug feature of openocd (-rtos auto), which allows me to see all the call stacks of all the threads as opposed to only the current thread.

I was happy to see that openocd 0.10.0, has added support for CY7C65215. Quoting from openocd user manual:

openjtag                                                                                          [Interface Driver]

OpenJTAG compatible USB adapter. This defines some driver-specific commands:

openjtag_variant variant                                                                 [Config Command]

Specifies the variant of the OpenJTAG adapter (see http://www.openjtag.

org/). Currently valid variant values include:

- standard Standard variant (default).

- cy7c65215 Cypress CY7C65215 Dual Channel USB-Serial Bridge

Controller (see http://www.cypress.com/?rID=82870).

openjtag_device_desc string                                                        [Config Command]

The USB device description string of the adapter. This value is only used with

the standard variant.

I tried to use it by downloading the openocd 0.10.0 version. After going through the new configuration option in openocd user guide, I configured it as below(also attached the snapshot):

In the main tab of external tools configuration:

1. Location:

C:\Users\dashy\Desktop\Desktop_folders\USB\Cypress-FX3\openocd-0.10.0\bin\openocd.exe

2. Working directory:

C:\Users\dashy\Desktop\Desktop_folders\USB\Cypress-FX3\openocd-0.10.0\bin

3. Arguments:

-f "C:\Users\dashy\Desktop\openocd-0.10.0\scripts\interface\openjtag.cfg" -f arm926ejs_FX3.cfg -c "openjtag_variant cy7c65215"

Note: arm926ejs_FX3.cfg is the same one which is installed in superspeed explorer kit(C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\SuperSpeed Explorer Kit\1.0\USBSerialOpenOCD\arm926ejs_FX3.cfg)

Initially I faced below error:

embedded:startup.tcl:21: Error: Unknown param: -variant, try one of: -type, -event, -work-area-virt, -work-area-phys, -work-area-size, -work-area-backup, -endian, -coreid, -chain-position, -dbgbase, -rtos, or -defer-examine

in procedure 'script'

So, I removed "-variant arm926ejs" from the config file. This helped to proceed ahead but I ended up in below error related to libusb_open:

Open On-Chip Debugger 0.10.0

Licensed under GNU GPL v2

For bug reports, read

http://openocd.org/doc/doxygen/bugs.html

Warn : Adapter driver 'openjtag' did not declare which transports it allows; assuming legacy JTAG-only

Info : only one transport option; autoselect 'jtag'

Warn : Interface already configured, ignoring

adapter_nsrst_delay: 200

jtag_ntrst_delay: 200

adapter speed: 1000 kHz

trst_and_srst srst_pulls_trst srst_gates_jtag trst_push_pull srst_open_drain connect_deassert_srst

RCLK - adaptive

adapter speed: 1000 kHz

Error: libusb_open() failed with LIBUSB_ERROR_NOT_SUPPORTED

Error: libusb_open() failed with LIBUSB_ERROR_NOT_FOUND

Error: unable to open cy7c65215 device

Attached the scripts used.

Can someone point if I am doing something wrong ? Or provide a working configuration.

Cheers

rohith