MagSense Inductive-Sensing Metal over Touch for a curved surface.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
GrCa_1363456
Level 6
Level 6
50 likes received Beta tester First comment on KBA

Have any examples been created that use a curved metal overlay over a curved inductive sensor?

I’d like to modify a broom handle that can detect the presence of grip, regardless if the grip is wearing gloves or from an artificial limb.

Since a curved solid metal surface won’t deflect and return like a planar surface would, I’m considering a metal mesh over foam over inductive sensors.

Please let me know pros and cons of this approach.

I'm also interested in hearing of alternative approaches.

Greg

0 Likes
1 Solution
BragadeeshV
First question asked 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hi GrCa_1363456​,

We don't have any validated designs for Inductive sensing over curved surface yet. It is under research. You can try experimenting your idea with PSoC 4700 S. One thing we can think of is, metal mesh when held might give a permanent deformation and this might be undesirable.

Regards,

Bragadeesh

Regards,
Bragadeesh

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
BragadeeshV
First question asked 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hi GrCa_1363456​,

We don't have any validated designs for Inductive sensing over curved surface yet. It is under research. You can try experimenting your idea with PSoC 4700 S. One thing we can think of is, metal mesh when held might give a permanent deformation and this might be undesirable.

Regards,

Bragadeesh

Regards,
Bragadeesh
0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

Bragadeesh,

Thank you for the reply.

I was able to verify a curved inductive sensor functions without issue. Image attached.

There was some degradation if the sensor was curved back onto itself.

For a broomstick application, the sensor may need to stay on one half the stick. Two sensors could be used to cover the full circumference of the stick, one on each half.

Household aluminum foil over a spongy foam triggers the sensor when the foil moves toward the sensor due to touch or pressure on the foil. I used foam from a Cypress boxed kit.

I did NOT have success with metal mesh.

Two metal mesh coffee filters I tested did not show any activity from the proximity sensor on the CY8CKIT-148. I was watching for sensed activity from the MagSense Tuner. I was told one filter was gold and the other was stainless, though I have no verification of either.

Greg

0 Likes

Hi GrCa_1363456​,

Thank you for our interest with our products. As we mentioned earlier, since we do not have any validated designs in this area, we may not be able to provide comments on your results.

Regards,

Bragadeesh

Regards,
Bragadeesh
0 Likes