Data storage in Quicksilver flash

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
cohuc_3807591
Level 3
Level 3
5 likes given First like given

Hello All:

I have an unusual ask - I want to use the serial flash memory on the Quicksilver_EVL for storing a LARGE amount of application data. The reason is this: in an ultra low power application where every uA matters, we want to be sending data over WiFi very infrequently, but I cant just declare a huge array. We are using the Quicksilver board which comes with many megabytes beyond the application space that can be used like an EEPROM or the like. Basically I want to use the sflash to buffer megabytes of sensor data so we can do one or two large data dumps per battery charge.

I've seen examples of defining user variables in the app dct - can I declare something that large? Ideally a queue would be nice, but if needed I suppose I could use a large array. I'm concerned about the latency of reading and writing to the dct as well - is there any way that can be reduced by using the sflash in a more "raw" format, ie reading and writing to raw memory locations from the application?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution
ChMa_3922746
Level 5
Level 5
10 likes received 10 likes given 5 likes given

I just ran across your question.  I have the same question for the CYW943907AEVAL1F eval board: How to Use SPI Flash for General Storage? (CYW943907AEVAL1F)

My tests indicate that APP DCT on this eval. board is limited to ~ 4kB (not very much), but a great deal of memory is free in the SPI Flash.  That would be the place to store larger amounts of data without having to add another external memory device (SPI or I2C).

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
ChMa_3922746
Level 5
Level 5
10 likes received 10 likes given 5 likes given

I just ran across your question.  I have the same question for the CYW943907AEVAL1F eval board: How to Use SPI Flash for General Storage? (CYW943907AEVAL1F)

My tests indicate that APP DCT on this eval. board is limited to ~ 4kB (not very much), but a great deal of memory is free in the SPI Flash.  That would be the place to store larger amounts of data without having to add another external memory device (SPI or I2C).

0 Likes