PSoC Programmer stopped recognizing one KitProg3 in bulk mode

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
euggersh
Level 5
Level 5
5 sign-ins First solution authored 50 replies posted

I've been doing development using a PSoC 6 Prototyping Kit with its integrated KitProg3 in bulk mode.  Today, the KitProg3 stopped being recognized.  The COM port is still visible in the device manager.  I can connect a different Prototyping Kit to the same computer and it's recognized, and I can connect this Prototyping Kit to a different computer and that's recognized also.

I can also switch this KitProg3 to HID mode, and it appears in PSoC Programmer.  But if I switch it back to bulk mode, it disappears.

What's going on here?

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes
1 Solution
JamesT_21
10 solutions authored 5 solutions authored First solution authored

Last Friday I had a remote session with the engineering team, and we resolved the issue on my machine. Dheeraj's recommendations are based on that. My problem was analogous to yours, but not identical

1: Bulk once worked and now doesn't

2: but I have Windows 7

3: and it was a different kit

Your kit worked fine, but I had one with the same problem. "I can also switch this KitProg3 to HID mode, and it appears in PSoC Programmer.  But if I switch it back to bulk mode, it disappears."

Bottom line, we removed the driver and reinstalled. Problem went away. I am not 100% happy with a solution like that, but I don't always get what I want. Some gremlin ate the driver, we don't know what that gremlin is. But all is now well, so I may never meet the gremlin that caused the problem, and it probably has absolutely nothing to do with Cypress software.

Let me know if uninstall/reinstall doesn't work.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
15 Replies
DheerajK_81
First comment on KBA First comment on blog 5 questions asked

Please let me know what is the version of PSoC Programmer you are using? Use Help > About PSoC Programmer to get this information.

Could you check if HID/BULK modes are getting detected correctly in Cypress Programmer?

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes

I have a similar problem with a Miniprog3 recognising a CY8C5268LTI-LP030

The samething happened a couple of months ago and has returned after the last programmer update.

The device is recognised fine with a mikroProg programmer as it was a couple of months ago.

I currently have

Installed CyInstaller Products:

Bridge Control Panel  1.20.0.4174

Clock Programmer  1.9.0.4174

Device Database  4174

Example Code  4174

PSoC Programmer  3.28.3.4174

USB Bootloader Application  4174

Reverting of an old version of the programmer (27.1_b3121) fixed the problem.

Paul

Installed CyInstaller Products:

Bridge Control Panel  1.20.0.4174

Clock Programmer  1.9.0.4174

Device Database  4174

Example Code  4174

PSoC Programmer  3.28.3.4174

USB Bootloader Application  4174

The modes are recognized correctly, as you can see if you look at the screenshot I included with my original post.

0 Likes
DheerajK_81

We had observed this issue in an older build of the version PP3.28.0 due to problems in libusb/winusb handlers which was fixed. Not quite sure why it has returned again in the newer PP3.28.3 version. I will pass this information to the internal development team to test the new version.

Please reinstall PSoC Programmer 3.28.3​ and check if the error goes away.

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes
DheerajK_81

What is the version of Kitprog3 installed?

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes

Successfully Connected to KitProg3 (CMSIS-DAP/HID/100E146503068400) at 13:44:21 | KitProg3. CMSIS-DAP Version 1.2.0. Firmware Version 1.01.158. Hardware Id 03.

0 Likes
euggersh
Level 5
Level 5
5 sign-ins First solution authored 50 replies posted

JimT_21​, do you have any insight on this?

Thanks.

0 Likes
DheerajK_81

Did you try reinstalling PSoC Programmer 3.28.3? It should serve as a workaround until we figure this out.

I have created an internal ticket to address this. As you mentioned it works on one system but not on other, would it be possible for you to try and reproduce this with older PP3.28.0/PP3.28.1 versions? We just want to see if this issue is machine specific or PSoC Programmer specific.

Regards,
Dheeraj

0 Likes
JamesT_21

If I read this right that is fundamentally weird behavior:

* Host computer A with prototype Kit A, Bulk was working but stopped working

* Host A with a prototype Kit B, Bulk works

* Host computer B with prototype Kit A, Bulk works.

I don't want to get in the way of Dheeraj's support, but my questions are:

* host computers have same OS?  Does Host A have Windows 7?

* it's the same model prototype kit?

As Dheeraj noted, my "go to" on this is a Windows driver problem, which is known with Windows 7. Dheeraj is heading down the right path. That's the only issue I know of that has caused Bulk connections to fail. And that _should_ be fixed.

Besides following Dheeraj's suggestion to reinstall PSoC Programmer 3.28.3, you can use PSoC Programmer to update/reinstall the firmware on the kit. Some gremlin may have eaten a bit. What you have is the latest released KitProg3: Firmware Version 1.01.158.

DheerajK_81​: in case I can't find it, send me the internal ticket number. I'll keep an eye, make sure it's not lost in the shuffle.

0 Likes

I haven't tried reinstalling 3.28.3 yet, but both computers are Windows 10 and both prototyping kits are the same model.

0 Likes
DheerajK_81

1. Open Device Manager and locate the device.

2. Right-click the device and select Properties from the context menu.

3. Select tab "Driver"

Please tell me what driver version you see.

eugene2.png

Also, do you have a 32-bit or a 64-bit system?

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes
JamesT_21

Appreciate your patience as we figure this one out. This is genuinely peculiar behavior.

* it used to work now it doesn't

* it works with one prototype kit but not another

Good (?) news is I can replicate the problem (not sure the root cause) on Windows 7 - PSoC Programmer can see a WiFiBT prototype kit when KP3 is in HID mode, and does not see it in Bulk. So it's likely the engineering team will be able to bug me directly. If we fix it for me, might fix it for you.

0 Likes
JamesT_21

Last Friday I had a remote session with the engineering team, and we resolved the issue on my machine. Dheeraj's recommendations are based on that. My problem was analogous to yours, but not identical

1: Bulk once worked and now doesn't

2: but I have Windows 7

3: and it was a different kit

Your kit worked fine, but I had one with the same problem. "I can also switch this KitProg3 to HID mode, and it appears in PSoC Programmer.  But if I switch it back to bulk mode, it disappears."

Bottom line, we removed the driver and reinstalled. Problem went away. I am not 100% happy with a solution like that, but I don't always get what I want. Some gremlin ate the driver, we don't know what that gremlin is. But all is now well, so I may never meet the gremlin that caused the problem, and it probably has absolutely nothing to do with Cypress software.

Let me know if uninstall/reinstall doesn't work.

0 Likes
DheerajK_81

Try removing and updating the drivers:
1. Open Device Manager and locate the device.
2. Right-click the device and select Uninstall from the context menu. (Select checkbox Delete the driver software for this device if present)
3. After uninstalling replug device.
4. Right-click the device and select Update driver software... from the context menu.
5. In the wizard, select Search automatically for updated driver software

Regards,
Dheeraj

0 Likes
JamesT_21

Just following up for clear closure.

Did reinstalling the driver resolve the issue? I'll assume yes unless I hear from you.

0 Likes