1 Reply Latest reply on May 17, 2019 6:19 AM by HemanthR_06

fx3 minimum complex gpio PWM period bug

SaGi_4116301

Hello,

I am using the EZ USB FX3 board to build an interface to an external device that requires an approx. 100MHz clock and puts out a serial 100MHz serial output data stream.

In order to make the interface work, I need the FX3 to generate 2 approx. 100MHz output clocks, with adjustable phase difference.

I use the FX3 PCLK as a master clock running at approx 100MHz. That works fine.

Now I want to generate a second output clock signal, at the same frequency, but with controllable phase shift w.r.t. PCLK by using an FX3 internal DLL (delay locked loop).

I managed to generate the 2nd clock signal on a GPIO pin by using complex gpio, in PWM mode, and setting period and duty cycle with period and threshold ticks.

I am also able to change its phase with respect to the PCLK by using an FX3 DLL.

However, it seems that PWM period settings smaller than 8 have no effect on the period of the PWM signal. I was not able to get a 100MHz gpio complex output signal,

also not by decreasing fast clock div value. At best I got approx. 25MHz.

I found out that this was confirmed in one of the entries in the developer community as a bug in the FX3 chip with PWM period settings smaller than 8.

I have a few questions:

- are there (newer) versions of the FX3 where this minimal PWM period bug has been fixed?

- are there alternative ways, other than complex gpio, that allow for generating 2 100MHz output clocks with adjustable phase relation?

I did read about the SDIO interface with S0 & S1 ports that talk about the ability to generate 100MHz clocks, and with a seperate DLL, which is "recommended not to use"

in the technical manual. Is it possible to use these to generate a steady 100MHz clock with adjustable phase, without actually implementing a full SDIO interface?

Any help is appreciated,

Best regards