how to measure the strength of the signal received via Bluetooth in psoc 6 BLE?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
chsrc_3700256
Level 3
Level 3
10 replies posted 5 replies posted 5 questions asked

I have been working on the PSoC 6 Pioneer kit. Once there is a connection established between two BLE devices... How do we measure the transmitted signal strength and the signal received via BLE  module?

0 Likes
1 Solution

to you questions -

Q1) What kind of signal or data can it be? Can it just be a signal to turn on an LED or I just want to send some raw signal with no data...

Ans: yes, of course you can. BLE can transmit any kind of signal/data user wants. For some common use cases, BLE SIG has defined many standard services, just like the the service BLE Heart Rate used in CE217639​.

Q2) And how will we know the transmitted signal strength in terms of power?

Ans: the RSSI value returned in along with the CY_BLE_EVT_GET_RSSI_COMPLETE event is in dBm. It should be the one you requested.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ShipingW_81
500 replies posted 250 solutions authored 250 replies posted

You can read the RSSI value of last received package on the specific connection, by calling API - Cy_BLE_GetRssi().

Successful operation is indicated through 'CY_BLE_EVT_GET_RSSI_COMPLETE' event.

The RSSI value will be returned in the cy_stc_ble_rssi_info_t parameter returned along with the CY_BLE_EVT_GET_RSSI_COMPLETE event.

Thank you WangS_81. I will try that and get back to you.

Now suppose we are sending a signal to other Rx BLE from Tx BLE.

Q1) What kind of signal or data can it be? Can it just be a signal to turn on an LED or I just want to send some raw signal with no data...

0 Likes

to you questions -

Ans: yes, of course you can. BLE can transmit any kind of signal/data user wants. For some common use cases, BLE SIG has defined many standard services, just like the the service BLE Heart Rate used in CE217639​.

Ans: the RSSI value returned in along with the CY_BLE_EVT_GET_RSSI_COMPLETE event is in dBm. It should be the one you requested.

Thank You WangS_81 for your time and timely response.

0 Likes