1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 14, 2019 10:21 AM by user_339172641

A basic question on multiple versions of something.  How do I create a "version 2" of a project and not lose the original one ? Kinda new here. Thanks.

user_140593463

So, lets say you have a version that works and don't want to lose it. You now want to try something different, say changing/adding pins, modifying configurations of components, modifying the code, etc. There is a "save as" button in the creator, but it seems to be only for the code (??)  What does "add new project" do ? I seem to have lost too many things trying to save the original.

Also: is there a way to print the pin assignments done in the cydwr section ?

Thanks. . . a newbee. . . Bob

• 1. Re: A basic question on multiple versions of something.  How do I create a "version 2" of a project and not lose the original one ? Kinda new here. Thanks.
          user_339172641

Bob,

One thing that Creator is not good at doing is versioning.  You have to do it all manually.

What I do is create a folder to contain my project.  The folder name is something like "My Project - A.2"  where A.2 is the version number.  Under this folder put all creator projects that are part of the solution.  In my case, I have a Bootloader and Bootloadable as two separate projects that are in this folder.  They are named something like "My Project - A.2.cydsn" (this is the bootloadable) and "My Project Bootloader.cydsn".  In this case the bootloader does not have a version number as it should not change through the life of the product.  But it is still important to keep it together with the bootloadable.

To start a new version, make a copy of the entire structure and only rename the root folder (My Project - A.3).  Then open the projects under this folder and rename them using Creator.  I usually rename the projects first and then the workspace (I have a workspace stored in the bootloadable project that opens both the bootloadable and bootloader).  Allow Creator to rename ALL files in the project.

Hope this helps,

Mike.