1 2 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2019 1:16 PM by BoTa_264741

Filter-ADC-VDAC Sample & Hold

JoDu_3224996

Greetings, I have a question related to PSoC5LP:

I'm using an ADC DelSig, DMA, Filter and VDAC, pretty much like the Filter_ADC_VDAC example. The ADC resolution I'm using is 16-bit with a 48 ksps conversion rate, same rate for the filter.

After the filter interrupt, I need to change the sampling rate from 48 kHz to 20*48 kHz = 960 kHz and have this associated to another interrupt where I can process the sample that comes from the filter interrupt.

For instances, the value that comes out of the filter's interrupt should go directly to this new interrupt, hold it and process the same sample 20 times with a 960 kHz sampling frequency, then, write it into the VDAC (after shifting from 16 to 8 bits).

Is the Sample & Hold component ideal for this situation or a clock connected to an interrupt should work?  What's the best way to implement it, considering this case? Thanks for your time and help!

• 1. Re: Filter-ADC-VDAC Sample & Hold
          BoTa_264741

ja.duarte,

To better assist you, please describe what is the goal of the project, why 20x rate multiplier is needed and what kind of processing is planned in 960kHz interrupt.

/odissey1

• 2. Re: Filter-ADC-VDAC Sample & Hold
            JoDu_3224996

user_342122993,
            The goal is to implement a Delta-Sigma modulator DAC capable of interpolating 20 samples between the sample n and n-1 that comes from the Filter.

• 3. Re: Filter-ADC-VDAC Sample & Hold
              BoTa_264741

ja.duarte,

One way of 20x interpolating is to use the Filter itself. Basically, the data income rate to the Filter should be 960 kHz (20x48kHz), so that Filter will smooth transition between actual data points. To achieve this, DMA should be operating at 20x clock the ADC does, so it will pump same data 20 times from ADC holding register. The smoothed output from Filter will be at 960kHz rate, which can go to VDAC directly (no ISR is necessary).

For example:

ADC output: 0

Filter input: 0,0,0,0,0.... (20 times)

ADC output: 20

Filter input: 20,20,20,20,20,... (20 times)

etc.

Filter output (sort of):

1,2,3,4,5,6... etc.

Secondly, the Filter input clock does not have to be exactly 20x of ADC (Filter has no clue about actual time, any incoming data considered equally spaced). So the data can be fed into Filter at max rate possible, and output is buffered in RAM. Then VDAC will oputput data from RAM at 960kHz rate by DMA.

/odissey1

• 4. Re: Filter-ADC-VDAC Sample & Hold
                JoDu_3224996

I'm using both channels of the filter. So basically, I'm using the filter's interrupt to filter what comes from the ADC with channel A, then I have some math to do over each sample (applying a distortion function), and after this I apply the channel B filter. I only want to start the interpolation after filtering with channel B and then, send it to the VDAC.

This should emulate the characteristics of a guitar amplifier. I should have been more specific about the whole project, sorry.

How can I do all of these maths on the right sampling frequency without interrupts? Also, I have to do some math regarding the delta-sigma modulator, so that's why I thought two interrupts should be needed for both sampling rates.

• 5. Re: Filter-ADC-VDAC Sample & Hold
                  JoDu_3224996

How can I change DMA to operate at 20x clock the ADC does? Thanks a lot for your help!

• 6. Re: Filter-ADC-VDAC Sample & Hold
                    BoTa_264741

ja.duarte,

Attached is example of data interpolation on the output from the Filter. It is sensitive to processor load and may need more testing and optimization. It uses DMA buffer size of 40, divided by 2 halves (20+20). When Filter data is available, the expired half-buffer is filled with interpolated values, while outputting data from the other half-buffer. Instead of DelSig-ADC, a WaveGen8 custom component is used for testing to avoid using external signal generator. It is unpublished custom component, which encapsulates RAM buffer and DMA channel to feed various targets with 8-bit data.

I believe that you already have DelSig_ADC-Filter section working, and can replace WaveGen_A with DelSig_ADC without a problem. The Filter output can be polled or read on interrupt (default), there is subtle difference in performance due to timing synchronization. Here a simple linear interpolation is used to fill the gap, but other smoothing algorithms can be used as well. Timing seems to be important, the Release option works more stable than Debug. Let me know it this works for you.

WaveGen8 component is included into the project and provided as-is. The Annotation library for KIT-059 can be found here:

Annotation library for CY8CKIT-059 Prototyping Kit

/odissey1

Fig. 1. Linear 20x s/w interpolator (upsampler). VDAC_A - straight Filter output, VDAC_1 - interpolated.

WaveGen_Filter_01b_A.png

Fig. 2. FFT of the linearly interpolated output. Yellow trace - Filter output, Fuchsia - interpolated.

WaveGen_Filter_01b_B.png

• 7. Re: Filter-ADC-VDAC Sample & Hold
                      BoTa_264741

ja.duarte,

Attached is another approach (hardware) approach to Filter output stream interpolation. This time, 1-st order low-pass filter is used for inerpolation of the incoming data. On Filter interrupt, the data is copied to wide Control Register (CReg32 component), which feeds LPFilter input bus. The LPFiter dumping width is set to 4 (dumping length = 2^4 = 16), which is comparable to interpolation scale (x20).

The WaveGen8, ControlRegister32 and LPFilter are unpublished custom components; they are imported directly into the project for easy start. The Annotation library can be downloaded elsewhere:

The difference between two projects is interpolation algorithm, performance and resources consumption. Due to h/w implementation, the LPFilter allows for very high input/output frequency (12-14 MHz is OK) without CPU load, but shows some exponential curvature between the points. Changing LPFilter dumping width to 5 improves this curvature in expense of some loss in amplitude. The LPFilters can be cascaded, creating 2-nd, 3-rd, etc. order filter.  To save h/w resources, use less bits from the filter e.g. 8 or 12 - afterwards, the output of VDAC is only 8-bits anyway!

/odissey1

Fig. 1. First-order h/w interpolator. VDAC_A - straight Filter output, VDAC_1 - interpolated.

WaveGen_Filter_LPFilter_01b_A.png

WaveGen_Filter_LPFilter_01b_B.png

Fig.3. FFT of the interpolated Filter output. Yellow trace - Filter straight output, Fuchsia - interpolated output.

WaveGen_Filter_LPFilter_01b_8-bit_C.png

• 8. Re: Filter-ADC-VDAC Sample & Hold
                        BoTa_264741

ja.duarte,

Attached below is upsamping demo using second-order hardware LPFilter component. Tested both in 16-bit and 8-bit versions with no noticeable differences in the output. In 8-bit mode, only 23% of PLD space is used. The FFT shows almost 50db suppression of the 48Hz (sampling) and 960kHz (interpolated) frequencies. The second harmonic of the 3kHz sine signal is only 40db suppressed, which indicates shape asymmetry, which seems to come from original input signal ditortion.

To replace WaveGen_A with DelSig_ADC: (1) delete WaveGen_A from schematic; (2) Copy-paste ADC and DMA from your original project.

/odissey1

Fig. 1. Second-order h/w interpolator. VDAC_A - straight Filter output, VDAC_1 - interpolated.

WaveGen_Filter_LPFilter2_01a_8-bit_A.png

Fig. 2. FFT of the interpolated output. Yellow trace - Filter output, Fuchsia - interpolated.

WaveGen_Filter_LPFilter2_01a_8-bit_B.png

Fig. 3. FFT of (non-interpolated) Filter output. Yellow trace - Filter output, Fuchsia - interpolated.

WaveGen_Filter_LPFilter2_01a_8-bit_C.png

• 9. Re: Filter-ADC-VDAC Sample & Hold
                          JoDu_3224996

Sorry for the late reply /odissey1. I was out of town for a week, just came back. I was trying this last implementation you suggested me but these errors keep popping up and I have no idea how to solve them:

ADD: fit.M0002: error: Can't find 'LPFilter' in library 'work' with path 'lcpsoc3'.

ADD: fit.M0002: error: Can't find 'ControlReg32' in library 'work' with path 'lcpsoc3'.

Do you have any idea how can I solve this??

Thank you!

• 10. Re: Filter-ADC-VDAC Sample & Hold
                            BoTa_264741

ja.duarte,

What Creator version you using?

• 11. Re: Filter-ADC-VDAC Sample & Hold
                              JoDu_3224996

PSoC Creator  4.2 (4.2.0.641)

• 12. Re: Filter-ADC-VDAC Sample & Hold
                                BoTa_264741

ja.duarte,

I downloaded

WaveGen_Filter_LPFilter2_01a_upload-000.cywrk.Archive01.zip

unzipped, and opened *.cyprj file using Creator 4.2. There were 8 errors, which all come from KIT-059 annotation library kit, which can be downloaded here:

Alternatively, the annotation components can be safely deleted without affecting project performance.

Other than this, everything works fine. Please let me know if the issue resolved.

/odissey1

• 13. Re: Filter-ADC-VDAC Sample & Hold
                                  BoTa_264741

ja.duarte,

Attached is useful paper from Agilent on data upsampling/interpolation. Original article can be found here:

https://www.edn.com/design/automotive-design/4010358/Sin-x-x-interpolation-an-important-aspect-of-proper-oscilloscope-me…

A proper way to implement Sin(x/x interpolation would be using the Filter component with custom coefficients, but that would require to re-design original project.

/odissey1

• 14. Re: Filter-ADC-VDAC Sample & Hold
                                    JoDu_3224996

Thank you /odissey1, the interpolation is now working on my project! Although, I still have to implement the Delta-Sigma modulator under 960 kHz with some code and I think that I'm only working under 960 kHz by the time I write into the ControlReg32.

I would like to implement something like this but with the correct clock.

int main(void)

{

Init();

for(;;)

{

if (flag_DtrReady)

{

flag_DtrReady=0;

Filter_Result = 128u + Filter_1_Read8(Filter_1_CHANNEL_A);

//2nd order DelSig Modulator with 8-bit quantification CODE under 960 kHz

//...

//...

modulator_out = //code.......

CReg32_1_Write(modulator_out);

}

}

Thank you once again!

1 2 Previous Next