A simple VT100 Escape Sequence Emulator

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
MotooTanaka
Level 9
Level 9
Distributor - Marubun (Japan)
First comment on blog Beta tester First comment on KBA

Once upon a time, when "mouse" meant a rodent.

A computer was not something to carry in a bag, and I was in love with my HP2626 terminal.

If you wanted to put a letter at arbitrary location on the screen, which was only 80 letter x 24(or 25) lines though, we had to use something called "Escape Sequence"

And thanks for the pre-standard era, we often needed to peek a file called "termcap" in the /etc.

Among the plenty of dialects of "Escape Sequences", the one from the DEC called "VT100" seems to be the survivor.

And even in this 21st century, not a few terminal programs are supporting archaic VT100 Escape Sequence!

Anyway, time to hack!

This is my implementation of V100 Escape Sequence.

Note: As usually I set my TeraTerm background to White,  the default foreground was set to Black.

If you are using Black for the background, you need to set the foreground to White.

To do so, in the main.c comment line which does not fit your need and uncomment line which fits

int default_foreground = VT100_BLACK ; // if your terminal's background is white

// int default_foreground = VT100_WHITE ; // if your terminal's background is black

When built and started the program will show

001-Splash.JPG

Then a few basic math graphics will be displayed

002-y-x.JPG

003-y-x-x.JPG

004-y-x-x-x.JPG

005-y-circle.JPG

Followed by a simple screen layout demo with colors.

006-fairlytale.JPG

moto

2 Replies
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
MotooTanaka
Level 9
Level 9
Distributor - Marubun (Japan)
First comment on blog Beta tester First comment on KBA

A version for CY8CKIT-044.

moto

0 Likes

Moto,

I am waiting for a Packman game