Cypress does not suggest any other IDEs to build FX3 firmware. But, as an alternate, you can use the make command to compile the firmware files and then use the elf2img tool to convert the .ELF file to .IMG file
Follow the instructions as below:
- Install the FX3 SDK (This installs the GNU ARM embedded tool chain)
- Confirm the tool chain installation using the below command from the command prompt. This displays the version of the tool chain installed.
- Copy the Makefile (I have attached the one used in the slavefifosync project that comes with the FX3 SDK) attached in this interaction to the folder containing the project source files. Also, it has to be noted that in the attached Makefile, the FX3FWROOT macro is defined to be ../../.. So, the folder containing the Makefile (along with the project source files) is to be placed three folders deep from the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\EZ-USB FX3 SDK\1.3\" path. In case you are storing the project folder elsewhere, the FX3FWROOT macro in the Makefile has to be modified accordingly.
- Download and install Make.exe from the below link.
- The Make.exe file can be found in the below path after installation.
C:\Program Files (x86)\GnuWin32\bin
- Include this path to the Environment variable 'PATH' so that the Make.exe can be accessed directly from the command prompt.
- Point to the project folder containing the Makefile and the source files and run the make command as in the below image. (You need to be in Administrator mode to generate the compiled files in the C:\Program Files (x86)\< > directory)
- After the ELF file is generated, use the elf2img tool from the below path to convert the generated ELF file to IMG file.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\EZ-USB FX3 SDK\1.3\util\elf2img