Hello, I'm very new to all of this can I ask a very basic question?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have acquired a couple of PsoC pioneer kits (4 & 6).  It's been years since I've done anything with native code but it's coming back to me.  I have a question that would help me understand what is necessary from a design perspective and what is not.

In PsoC Creator, let's say I'm doing something as simple as dragging a digital output pin onto the top design sheet to connect to an LED.  All of the examples I can download have a resistor and LED populated on the top design as well with values set for the resistor's ohms.  Take the PsoC 6 GPIO example 220263, I can see how the inclusion of each pin on the sheet is the impetus for the generation of build files to support that pin and register mapping of it on the pins interface.  What I don't understand is what if any effect the inclusion of the resistor and LED symbols on the top design have.  Is there any actual change happening in my project or programming of the board?  Are those just there for the reader's sake or do they actually support something?  I could obviously wire up any resistor and LED I choose so the 10k value for R3 seems arbitrary.  According to the schematic, there's a 750, 270, and 330 ohm resistor on the onboard RBG LED respectively, so I'm not sure what's going on there with the use of R3 in the top design.

Thanks and let me just state that I didn't think my profile name was immutable when I signed up and/or that I'd be participating in the forums down the road with it.

0 Likes
1 Solution
AchimE_41
Employee
Employee
10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins First comment on KBA

Hello,

Those resistors and LEDs are only for documentation purpose and do not change the behavior of the chip.

kind regards,

Achim

View solution in original post

2 Replies
AchimE_41
Employee
Employee
10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins First comment on KBA

Hello,

Those resistors and LEDs are only for documentation purpose and do not change the behavior of the chip.

kind regards,

Achim

ShipingW_81
500 replies posted 250 solutions authored 250 replies posted

Glad to see you get start with PSoC6 application

As for CE220263, please ignore the resistors and LEDs symbols shown on top design. They are just for purpose of demonstration and actually affects nothing.

Just refer to the actual connection of pins p0_3 and p11_1 in board schematic, where the pins sink current while LEDs lightening. The different resistor values might be due to the different forward current/voltage curve of LED for each color.