CY8CKIT-049-42xx Enumerates but doesn't appear in the Ports list

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Trying to make use of the ultra low cost CY8CKIT-049 for an open source project. When I insert the device into my trusty Windows 7 machine, it shows the standard windows "Driver software installation" dialog, and all three parts succeed as expected. But no com ports appear in the Device list. Same when the button is pressed during insertion. Same for a second USB port on the machine.

Any ideas? Steps for troubleshooting?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

So it's working now... here is what I did just incase someone else runs into this:

1. I happened to notice out of the corner of my eye that there was a new program installed called the "Cypress USB-Serial Configuration Utility" and that just sounded to closely related to not try, so I fired it up, accepted the start page thing and low and behold, it can see my device! I checked the settings, on the SCB tab, the mode was set to UART with the CDC protocol, which I /think/ is correct. Anyway, I hit program to make sure it was set to that. I tried Device / reset and the device list would pulse, but no com ports showed up.

2. Given that I had no other ideas, I restarted the PC. And the com port showed up right away.

LOL. So as usual... restart.

Thanks for those who tired to help

View solution in original post

7 Replies
RyanZhao
250 sign-ins First question asked 750 replies posted

Hi James,

CY8CKIT-043 has a KitProg(on board programming bridge), but CY8CKIT-049 has has only a bootloader as a flash update option.

Please double-check if you need to use any resource based on KitProg.

And a programming trouble shooting is FYI.

Troubleshooting PSoC® 3/4/5LP Programming/Debugging Issues - KBA210619

Thanks,

Ryan

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for taking the time to reply Ryan,

1. Yes, I'm very aware of the limitations of the -049. I was using the world "debugging" to reference debugging the issue I'm having, not debugging via the IDE of the chip. For that, I have a Pioneer kit (the -042) which works perfectly on the same PC and the same USB connectors.

2. According to the quick start, when the device is connected, it should enumerate as a com port. Again, it /appears/ to install correctly, but does not show up in the port list under device manager. I can't begin to talk to it with the IDE or any other resource because it doesn't appear in the machine.

The light flashes (slow if button not held on insertion, fast if button is held on insertion) just as expected. The power light is on. I see no damage on the PCBs. The bridge is connected and the breakaway is not cracked or broken.

I'm assuming it's an OS issue? But I'm not sure how to troubleshoot it.

0 Likes

Afaik there is no UART to USB bridge on the -049 kit. So there will be no com-port.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

??? From the web page for the -049: "The prototyping kit supports PC connectivity through the Cypress USB-Serial controller, which is also used to bootload the PSoC 4 device via UART using the the Bootloader Software Host tool."

From the users guide​, page 17 section 3.8: "When you connect the CY8CKIT-049-4xxx to the PC over a USB interface, it enumerates as a COM port device under the Device Manager window on the Windows OS. Often, the COM port number will be higher than any existing COM port value."

Followed by pictures showing the com port in the device list (which I don't see on my machine) and by pictures showing the USB device enumerating (which I do see).

Maybe you are thinking of another device Bob?

0 Likes

Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. I was totaly wrong.

Bob

0 Likes

Let me have another try: In a similar situation with a PSoC5 I de-installed all drivers which were connected to that USB port, re-started the PC and re-plugged the PSoC kit. Then waited for installation of actual drivers. Again re-plugging PSo>C kit.

Bob

Anonymous
Not applicable

So it's working now... here is what I did just incase someone else runs into this:

1. I happened to notice out of the corner of my eye that there was a new program installed called the "Cypress USB-Serial Configuration Utility" and that just sounded to closely related to not try, so I fired it up, accepted the start page thing and low and behold, it can see my device! I checked the settings, on the SCB tab, the mode was set to UART with the CDC protocol, which I /think/ is correct. Anyway, I hit program to make sure it was set to that. I tried Device / reset and the device list would pulse, but no com ports showed up.

2. Given that I had no other ideas, I restarted the PC. And the com port showed up right away.

LOL. So as usual... restart.

Thanks for those who tired to help