(CYW43907) powersave test app - Reception time of Wi-Fi beacon

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
HIUR_3769846
Level 3
Level 3
First like given Welcome!

I'm using the CYW943907AEVAL1F with the powersave test application with SDK 6.0.2 and measuring current from the MODULE CURRENT(10V = 1A) Pin by oscilloscope. I change the parameter POWERSAVE_STANDALONE_TEST_DEEPSLEEP_ASSOC to 1 and POWERSAVE_JOIN_COMMAND(AP setting) to our AP setting.

I have a question whether I can reduce reception time for Wi-Fi beacon or not.

I attached the result picture of current measurement on beacon receiving. The picture shows reception time of beacon is about 10ms. I think Wi-Fi beacon is not such a long. Can I change this time to more short? I want to reduce current as long as possible. Of course, I know the change the DTIM parameter is one of the solution for reducing current.

beacon_reception_time.bmp

0 Likes
1 Solution
RaktimR_11
500 replies posted 250 replies posted 100 replies posted

For 43907, the only option that you have is to increase the DTIM parameter to reduce current consumption. There is no other provision to trim the beacon reception time in 43907 unfortunately.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
RaktimR_11
500 replies posted 250 replies posted 100 replies posted

For 43907, the only option that you have is to increase the DTIM parameter to reduce current consumption. There is no other provision to trim the beacon reception time in 43907 unfortunately.

0 Likes

Thank you for your reply!

I'll change the DTIM first. By the way, I noticed 43907 has listen interval parameter. I think this parameter has same effect as changing DTIM parameter of AP. Is my understanding is correct or some behavior is differed?

0 Likes

The listen interval indicates to the AP the frequency at which a power save station will wake up to listen to beacon frames.An AP may use the listen interval as a guide to determine the duration it should retain buffered frames for a power station. Larger listen intervals require more AP memory for frame buffering. When STA associates with an AP, part of the data in the Assoc request frame is the listen interval.

The delivery traffic indication map (DTIM) period is a parameter associated with an infrastructure network, and is advertised in an AP Beacon frame.The default DTIM beacon interval for most APs is either DTIM=1 or DTIM=3. In the case of DTIM=3, the station needs to only wake from low-power mode to receive every third beacon and any ensuing queued broadcast or multicast traffic.

DTIM period is the settings done in the AP used ( By default, it is 1 for 43907 when used as softAP). If 43907 is used as a Wi-Fi client (STA), then you can set the listen interval to non-zero ( By default it is set to zero). If the DTIM listen interval is non-zero, the DTIM listen interval will over ride  the beacon listen interval value.

Please check the powersave application note bundled with SDK which can be found at 43xxx_Wi-Fi/doc/WICED-Powersave-App-Note.pdf for further understanding.

Thank you for your quick reply.

I understood the difference between these from your information!! Additionally, I would like to check the application notes.

0 Likes