4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2015 7:44 PM by manulsan

SN8200 maximum TCP data throughput ?

hbau11

Hi,

I'm new here and working on a SN8200UFL module, using  Murata SNIC-SPI software 03.41021.

Can anyone share his experiences about maximum TCP data throughput under optimal conditions?

My test conditions are:

STA mode

SN8200 TCP client connected to server on PC.

TCP block size 1024 bytes.

SPI clock 21 MHz

Sending data from client to server at maximum speed, I'm able to transfer 1.4 Mbits/sec.

Anyone similar results ?

Is it possible to increase performance using WICED SDK?
      I was not able to find any information about throughput rate under optimal conditions.

Herbert

• 2. Re: SN8200 maximum TCP data throughput ?
          manulsan

Hi

This is Alex and we have tested Broadcom's device wifi module based on 43362 and 4390.

I am not sure that following information can be helpful or not, please use it as references for your development.

1. ENV >

Module (SoftAP )  ----------------------------------NoteBook#1

----------------------------------NoteBook#2

2. Tools on Notebook

Chariot 8.x

3. Conclusion

BCM43362 module with M3 CPU could not make good performance.

and the module got effect from Air environment.

4. Recommands:

1. M4 CPU + BCM43362

2. M3 CPU + 4390

5.  All BCM43362 based module have similar performances. so check USI and Broadcom's EVB also

If SPI also works, then M3 CPU may be working hard so it may not make good performance.

If WIFI module part can release CPU load then it can make better performance

- BCM43362 based Broadcom EVB and BCM4390 Module

bcm43362-damosys.png

- DS640 (BCM4390 based module )

DS640 Test_throughput.gif

• 3. Re: SN8200 maximum TCP data throughput ?
            hbau11

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your response. It is clear for me, that the Murata SNIC-SPI software is not optimal for data streaming because of the SPI telegram overhead.

Am I right, to interpret you testing results in this way:

Using a SN8205 module with WICED SDK software and optimized SPI Software and telegram handling , I could at a minimum double my data throughput rate?

• 4. Re: SN8200 maximum TCP data throughput ?
              manulsan

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your response. It is clear for me, that the Murata SNIC-SPI software is not optimal for data streaming because of the SPI telegram overhead.

==> Not only for this SPI overhead,  BCM43362 WIFI  performance is not expected as much as other one.

As explained,  BCM4390's performance is much better.

Am I right, to interpret you testing results in this way:

Using a SN8205 module with WICED SDK software and optimized SPI Software and telegram handling , I could at a minimum double my data throughput rate?

==> It can be helpful but I am not sure that how much of CPU load is released.

For the selection of module and solution,   find good solution and select one with your requests.

With IoT module, do not expect performance as much as broadband wifi solution.

Better performance need more power consumption.

We tested many kinds of WIFI chipset to make module,

"Lower power consumption and better performance"  BCM4390 chipset is best.

Thanks