Resetting RTC internal counter

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I try to set new time to RTC by rtc_setRTCTime(), the internal counter looks remaining.

Then rtc_getRTCTime() returns unexpected time.

Is there any way to reset the internal counter?

For example, when I use Jul/15/2014 12pm at first and 1 hour past, time will be 1pm.

I can get correct time(it's 1pm) from rtc_getRTCTime();

Then I set current time like Mar/10/2015 3pm and 1 more hour past, it should be 4pm.

But rtc_getRTCTime() returns 5pm. (totally 2hour past from the first rtc_setRTCTime().)

Does anybody know the solution?

[Environment]

SDK: 2.2.0

Target: BCM920737TAG

Deep sleep used with internal 128K

0 Likes
1 Solution

There are two bugs in your code:

1. I think you meant to increment time by 1hr:

#if 1    // 2015/Mar/11 -d.miya

if (0x05 == num_timeouts_since_boot) {

UINT8 hours = 0x00;

UINT8 readbyte = bleprofile_ReadNVRAM(0x10, 0x01, &hours);

current_time.hour += ++hours;     /////// ----> Notice you increment hours by whats in NV

rtc_setReferenceTime(&current_time);    // I'd like to adjust 1 hour.

// But it changes only reference time.

//            rtc_setRTCTime(&current_time);            // I'd like to adjust 1 hour.

// But it doesn't clear internal counter

UINT8 writtenbyte = bleprofile_WriteNVRAM(0x10, 0x01, &hours);   //// ---> and then you write the incremented value to NV. First iteration, you write 1, the next time, you add 2 and write 2. Next time you add 3hrs and write 3 in NV and so on. This is why your current time skips by one extra hour on the 5th second.

}

#endif    // 2015/Mar/11 -d.miya

2. When you increment/decrement the time by x, you have increment/decrement the reference time on boot from deep-sleep by the same amount. Your time reference shifts, and since the HW RTC continues to run in deep-sleep, you have to tell the driver that you moved things around.

Your fixes are simple - In the create function, I changed this:

// If this is a power-on reset, we need to set up the reference time.

if (mia_isResetReasonPor())

{

//// .... The same code that you have.....

}

else

{

// Set up reference offset by the updates.

UINT8 hours = 0x00;

// Increment the reference by the same amount as the previous increment before entering deep sleep.

current_time.hour += hours;

rtc_setReferenceTime(&current_time);

}

Before entering deep sleep, increment by 1hr and set time, but write to NV how many times (cumulative) the RTC has been updated from the start:

UINT8 hours = 0x00;

current_time.hour += 1;    ///// ------>>>> Add 1 hr.

hours++;      ///// ------>>>> But remember how many times with respect to cold boot.

//rtc_setReferenceTime(&current_time);    // I'd like to adjust 1 hour.

rtc_setRTCTime(&current_time);            // I'd like to adjust 1 hour.

UINT8 writtenbyte = bleprofile_WriteNVRAM(0x10, 0x01, &hours);

}

Of course, all this code above treats time as plain integers which is incorrect. I will leave it to you as an exercise to use datetime and update appropriately.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Daisuke,

From the developers:

1.  include rtc_api.a patch.

2.  Then use rtc_setReferenceTime() to set the time instead of rtc_setRTCTime()

Thanks

JT

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Jonathan,

Thank you for your help.

But rtc_setReferenceTime() doesn't change the result.

I still get future time.

Anyway, I'll prepare reproducible code from rtc_sample.c

Regards,

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Attached is reproducible code based on rtc_sample.

Please check it and tell me any advice.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Daisuke,

We are working with the developers on this RTC function question but do not have an immediate suggestion.

Thanks,

JT

0 Likes

There are two bugs in your code:

1. I think you meant to increment time by 1hr:

#if 1    // 2015/Mar/11 -d.miya

UINT8 hours = 0x00;

current_time.hour += ++hours;     /////// ----> Notice you increment hours by whats in NV

rtc_setReferenceTime(&current_time);    // I'd like to adjust 1 hour.

//            rtc_setRTCTime(&current_time);            // I'd like to adjust 1 hour.

UINT8 writtenbyte = bleprofile_WriteNVRAM(0x10, 0x01, &hours);   //// ---> and then you write the incremented value to NV. First iteration, you write 1, the next time, you add 2 and write 2. Next time you add 3hrs and write 3 in NV and so on. This is why your current time skips by one extra hour on the 5th second.

}

#endif    // 2015/Mar/11 -d.miya

2. When you increment/decrement the time by x, you have increment/decrement the reference time on boot from deep-sleep by the same amount. Your time reference shifts, and since the HW RTC continues to run in deep-sleep, you have to tell the driver that you moved things around.

Your fixes are simple - In the create function, I changed this:

// If this is a power-on reset, we need to set up the reference time.

if (mia_isResetReasonPor())

{

//// .... The same code that you have.....

}

else

{

// Set up reference offset by the updates.

UINT8 hours = 0x00;

// Increment the reference by the same amount as the previous increment before entering deep sleep.

current_time.hour += hours;

rtc_setReferenceTime(&current_time);

}

Before entering deep sleep, increment by 1hr and set time, but write to NV how many times (cumulative) the RTC has been updated from the start:

UINT8 hours = 0x00;

current_time.hour += 1;    ///// ------>>>> Add 1 hr.

hours++;      ///// ------>>>> But remember how many times with respect to cold boot.

//rtc_setReferenceTime(&current_time);    // I'd like to adjust 1 hour.

rtc_setRTCTime(&current_time);            // I'd like to adjust 1 hour.

UINT8 writtenbyte = bleprofile_WriteNVRAM(0x10, 0x01, &hours);

}

Of course, all this code above treats time as plain integers which is incorrect. I will leave it to you as an exercise to use datetime and update appropriately.

0 Likes