4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2018 3:49 AM by riya

OTA2-example on the QuickSilver platform

kforest_3714346

Hello Everyone,

I'm evaluating the Arrow Quicksilver evaluation kit (based on Murata 1GC module which is based on CYW43907) and I want to build the OTA2-example that is included in WICED Studio (6.1.2 in my case) to test the OTA update capability.

I've built with success the snip.ota2_extract using this command :

snip.ota2_extract-Quicksilver_EVL

But when I build the snip.ota2_example, I get an error. I use this command to build it :

snip.ota2_example-Quicksilver_EVL ota2_image download run

Here the console output :

Downloading DCT ... build/snip.ota2_example-Quicksilver_EVL/DCT.bin @ SFLASH_DCT_LOC=0x0020d000

./tools/common/Win32/mk_wicedfs32 build/snip.ota2_example-Quicksilver_EVL/filesystem.bin build/snip.ota2_example-Quicksilver_EVL/resources/Staging/

Creating Filesystem Done

Illegal division by zero at ./tools/text_to_c/sector_count.pl line 49.

Finished Building OTA2 Failsafe

Building apps lookup table

tools/makefiles/wiced_apps.mk:454: *** OTA2 Factory Reset Image Info File Not built!.  Stop.

make.exe[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

make: *** [main_app] Error 2

Makefile:351: recipe for target 'main_app' failed

What I've understood so far, it's when I run this command: "snip.ota2_example-Quicksilver_EVL ota2_image" (without the download and run) I was getting an overlapping error :

OTA2 component OTA_APP_FILE overlaps FILESYSTEM_FILE by 0x7000 bytes Adjust platform's "ota2_image_defines.mk file" !!

start: 0x00225000 padded size: 0x00047000  end: 0x0026c000 :: OTA_APP_FILE (build\snip.ota2_extract-Quicksilver_EVL\binary\snip.ota2_extract-Quicksilver_EVL.stripped.elf)

start: 0x00265000 padded size: 0x0007d000  end: 0x002e2000 :: FILESYSTEM_FILE (build\snip.ota2_example-Quicksilver_EVL\filesystem.bin)

So what I've done, I've modified the following file: "platforms/Quicksilver_EVL/ota2_image_defines.mk"

And I've modified the line #98:

# File system

OTA2_IMAGE_CURR_FS_AREA_BASE         := 0x00265000 # 876k  0x000DB000

to

# File system

OTA2_IMAGE_CURR_FS_AREA_BASE         := 0x0026F000 # 876k  0x000DB000

To give more space to the snip.ota2_extract binary to fit in its memory space.

After that modification, I am able to build the snip.OTA2_example but it gets the same exact message when I try to put it on the target (download and run).

Do you have any idea how we can fix that issue?

Thanks in advance,

Mister Kim Forest

• 1. Re: OTA2-example on the QuickSilver platform
          mifo

Adding the centralized Engineering team from Arrow: vpea_2619796 mroberts_arrow user_455868498

Have you taken a look at these 2 documents?

WICED OTA2 Update Support

OTA2 Update for SDK-3.7.0

• 2. Re: OTA2-example on the QuickSilver platform
            kforest_3714346

Hello Mifo,

Yes, the I've read the WICED OTA2 Update Support.

The OTA2 Update post seems to work more (I get serial output from the snip.ota2_example).

Although, I still have the same error message when building the OTA2_image for the snip.scan:

tools/makefiles/wiced_apps.mk:454: *** OTA2 Factory Reset Image Info File Not built!.  Stop.

Is there a way to get more log while building?

• 3. Re: OTA2-example on the QuickSilver platform
              mifo

I will let the IoT applications team chime in as the Arrow Quicksilver board should operate in a near identical fashion for OTA_2 compared to our own 43907 development kit.

riya rroy gyan anpm shjl grsr

• 4. Re: OTA2-example on the QuickSilver platform
                riya

Hello,

The problem is in the makefile which is looking for "download download_apps" in the make target instead of just "download" i.e.,it is expecting following make target:

snip.ota2_example-CYW943907AEVAL1F ota2_image download download_apps run

Kindly refer the 43xxx_Wi-Fi\tools\makefiles\wiced_apps.mk file to better understand the implementation.

Adding download download_apps in your make target should solve your problem.

I am trying to give an explanation on why the make target with only "ota2_image" works but the make target with "ota2_image download run" doesn't.

The conditional macro in the makefile works as follows:

ifeq (condition_evaluated_as_true)

lines-of-code-if-true

else

lines-of-code-if-false

endif

In context of WICED:

ifeq ($(OTA_APP),) means if OTA_APP is an empty string or contains only white space characters(which might appear empty to a user), then evaluate the "lines-of-code-if-true", else evaluate the "lines-of-code-if-false". Hence if OTA_APP is declared in the application makefile(as it is declared in the ota2_example.mk file), the ota2_image should be compiled. 

This statement

"OTA2_DOWNLOAD_DEPENDENCY := $(filter download download_apps, $(MAKECMDGOALS))

filters out 'dowload download_apps' from the make target and creates image dependencies for building and downloading further images.

When "download" is added to the make target, this OTA2_DOWNLOAD_DEPENDENCY equals just download, whereas when "download download_apps" is added, the paameter gets the correct value and hence the rest of the image are built/downloaded correctly.

Let me know if this makes sense.

1 of 1 people found this helpful