Thank you for contacting Cypress Community Forum.
What is the speed grade for SOIC package and WSON package?
Is it WSON version came from fresh part with no previous program/erase?
- Replacing 16-pin SOIC with 8-contract WSON is only package change, should not have any performance differences. Are you working at the same condition?
- Same Vcc on both boards?
- Both work at QSPI mode?
- Please check waveform if there is any extra delays in between clock groups?
- How do you measure the program/erase time?
You mentioned: “Vcc should be with 10% of 1V8” – What does this mean? If it means Vcc could be 10% lower than 1.8V, which could be reach 1.62V, it will be a problem. FS512S requires 1.7V < Vcc < 2.0V..
Thank you for your help on this support request.
- Both the 16-pin SOIC and the 8-contract WSON are speed grade AG which is 133 MHz.
- Vcc is stable at 1.8 V during the tests, I have checked this on the board during a test.
- Both package types are programmed and working in the same QSPI mode i.e. the same software is running on both boards.
- The ambient temperature around the chip is 27 deg C during the tests
- The program/erase time is measured by the software (using an ARM debugger), using the same code on both boards,
Probing all the pins and connecting a scope to analyze the protocol timing would be a last resort.
I do have some more test results for the Version 2 board:
I need to understand why the WSON package is slower, but note I only have one test results for board version1 (SOIC ).
Can you explain what is the expected variation in erase time i.e. by how many milliseconds can the sector erase time vary on the same chip and on different chips (with Vcc stable at 1.8 V and temp 27 deg C).
The packaging type does not have any impact on the flash program/erase performance.
Since test conditions are identical to both the packaging type devices, most likely the performance difference comes from the variety of individual devices. Different devices and even different sectors within the same device may have different program/erase performance. Please refer to attachment for FS512S program/erase performance table. The performance of most devices are around typical (Typ) value , but some devices close to the Max value is also expectable.