PSoC Programmer Questions

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
GyanC_36
Employee
Employee
250 replies posted 100 replies posted 50 replies posted

We are trying to program the CYBLE-022001-00 device with your MiniProg3 programmer with your CYBLE-022001-PROG module that the device goes in using your PSoC Programmer Software Version 3.26.0.2791. We are setting the programmer settings as shown here in below screen capture-

The device passes the programming process BUT if we do a stand-alone verify or stand-alone checksum the device fails against the firmware file. I noticed that during the programming process is shows “Doing Protect” so I thought maybe the device was being protected in some way BUT I did a read of the device and as you will see in the log that nothing is being protected that I can see. This programming tool is new to us so I am at a loss as to why the device passes the programming process but fails the stand-alone verify or stand-alone checksum processes. Please take a look at what I have provided and advise.

a.png

0 Likes
1 Solution
GyanC_36
Employee
Employee

Hello,

From your description , it seems like you have Chip Protection Enabled in PSoC Creator

( In PSoC Creator -> .CYDWR File -> System -> Chip Protection) while compiling/building your PSoC Creator project which is the cause of standalone verify and checksum fails in PSoC Programmer. To prevent the external Flash reads you have to enable the Chip Lock option while programming from PSoC programmer ( PSoC Programmer -> Options -> Chip Lock) as well.

If you do not want any device security , select the chip protection to OPEN in PSoC Creator, build the project and program.

If you want more details on device and Flash security please refer the PSoC 4 BLE architecture TRM from below link.

http://www.cypress.com/file/137266/download   (Section - C , Chapter # 14)

-Gyan

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
GyanC_36
Employee
Employee

Hello,

From your description , it seems like you have Chip Protection Enabled in PSoC Creator

( In PSoC Creator -> .CYDWR File -> System -> Chip Protection) while compiling/building your PSoC Creator project which is the cause of standalone verify and checksum fails in PSoC Programmer. To prevent the external Flash reads you have to enable the Chip Lock option while programming from PSoC programmer ( PSoC Programmer -> Options -> Chip Lock) as well.

If you do not want any device security , select the chip protection to OPEN in PSoC Creator, build the project and program.

If you want more details on device and Flash security please refer the PSoC 4 BLE architecture TRM from below link.

http://www.cypress.com/file/137266/download   (Section - C , Chapter # 14)

-Gyan

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gyan,

Thanks for your response. Did you get the log that i had attached? I had sent it to Greg @ Cypress Developer Community also. From what I read from the programmed device, there is NO protection. In the log when I read the programmed device I see:

--- Chip Level Protection ---

| OPEN

I am not using PSoC Creator. I am only using the PSOC Programmer software with the MiniProg3 programmer and the Cypress socket to put the device in for programming and loading the customer firmware file with the settings shown in the screen capture. I can't attach the log to this reply but I will email it to you. Please take a look at the log and you will see everything that I did with the device. Let me know if you need additional information.

Thanks,

Joseph  Johnson

0 Likes

Hello Joseph,

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

--- Chip Level Protection ---

| OPEN

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

The above log is based on your PSoC Programmer setting. In PSoC Programmer -> Click on 'Option' and you will see 'Chip Lock' is disabled there.

If you enable it and then try to read the Flash, it will fail.

The hex file , you have is compiled with Chip Protection 'Protected' in the PSoC Creator.

"Basically if the Chip Protection is 'Protected' in PSoC Creator and the Chip Lock is Disabled in PSoC Programmer - Read will Pass , Verify will fail, if  Chip Lock is enabled then both will fail. If the Chip Protection is 'Open' in PSoC Creator then irrespective of any Chip Lock setting in PSoC Programmer , all operation will Pass."

Hope this clears your queries. Please let me know if you have any further.

-Gyan

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gyan,

How do you know the hex file has the protection enabled. I haven’t sent the hex file. Is it something in the logs? Please clarify. This programmer is new to us so I need help determining how to know based on a hex file sent to us. The customer didn’t say there was any security being set.

0 Likes

Hello Joseph,

The below logs from PSoC Programmer confirms that the Chip Protection is 'Protected' in PSoC Creator.

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Programming Succeeded

| Doing Checksum

| Doing Protect

| Verifying of Flash Succeeded...

| Verifying of Flash Starting...

| Programming of Flash Succeeded...

| Programming of Flash Starting...

| Erase Succeeded

Device set to CYBLE-022001-00 at 11:53:34 AM                    | 131072  FLASH bytes

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

You can ask the customer that what is the option you have selected for Chip protection ( In PSoC Creator -> .CYDWR File -> System -> Chip Protection).

-Gyan

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gyan,

Thanks for the response. So the best way to know if security is set is to ask customer or if we see Doing Protect during programming. There’s no way to know with the hex file or in the PSoc programmer software?

0 Likes

Joseph,

From PSoC Programmer while programming , you can get hint about the security options  but it is always better if the customer provides all the relevant security information which are applied while creating the hex file.

-Gyan

0 Likes