Websocket/REST-Streaming connection to Firebase

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
user_2177781
Level 5
Level 5
25 likes received 10 likes received 5 likes given

Hello,

I have for some time ago tried to connect to a test firebase database using WebSockets, but with limited success and have not been able to get any useful data. I have been able to get a basic REST connection running using HTTP GET / POST, but would like to have "real-time" data.

As an alternative I have been looking at using SSE / REST-Streaming, but I have not yet had the chance to look into this.

Have anybody had success in connecting to firebase directly using websockets or in general get a REST-Streaming connection up and running?

Regards

René Josefsen

0 Likes
3 Replies
PriyaM_16
250 replies posted 100 replies posted 50 replies posted

Hello,

Can you give some more details regarding the problem?

1. App that you are using to connect to firebase?

I have tried with websocket_client snip provided in WICED to connect to firebase.

2. Wireshark log of the client request and the error that the server throws?

Just to make sure that we are sending the request as expected by firebase server.

I guess it is not a "problem" but more a friendly request to hear if anybody else have had success by connecting to ex. firebase using websockets or REST-Streaming and see if anybody would share some knowledge about implementing this in a WICED based system.

I have not tried setting up a REST-Streaming connection, but my initial idea is to try making a streaming HTTP connection and see what happens. When I tried to connect to a test firebase system I had configured, I ended up with a response as described in this thread: nest api - Firebase websocket protocol, am I missing something? - Stack Overflow and I was not successful in moving past this. I have not been looking into it for some time now.

Did you manage to get a connection up and running to a firebase system using the websocket_client snip and be able to send and receive data?

Regards

0 Likes

I was not able to connect to firebase as it throws "upgrade header" error. I need to capture the logs and check if the upgrade header is being sent by WICED device. I will try to debug the issue and et back to you. Let me know if you have made any progress