What is the best approach to interface Visual Studio to PSoC 4?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Currently I have a CY8CKIT-042-BLE-A Pioneer kit that has the ability to drive a fan via PWM. The PWM value can be varied by modifying the compare value.

What I would like to achieve is to have the firmware setup in such a way that it can send and receive information from a GUI built in Visual Studio to readout the current PWM value and the ability to write a new PWM value.

One approach I can think of is to use the available serial port to parse commands on each side (Windows application and PSoC 4).

But I am concerned of the efficiency of this approach.

Maybe an approach where the GUI shows the current value of PWM register. I am using one value for sake of example but later additional registers will need to be modified, for example software version, date code..

Any approach recommendations or any distinct pros/cons would be most appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Solution
DheerajK_81
First comment on KBA First comment on blog 5 questions asked

There is a similar application wherein the GUI is used to modify the PWM of the led through USB HID interface for data transfers on PSoC3/PSoC 5LP devices. You can find some inspiration there. Link: http://www.cypress.com/documentation/application-notes/an82072-psoc-3-and-psoc-5lp-usb-general-data-...

However, I do not have anything similar for PSoC 4 BLE, but you can replicate the same and then use the same GUI from the above project if you do not want to build from scratch. I will try to do the same on my side. Do let me know your observations.

Regards,

Dheeraj

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
DheerajK_81
First comment on KBA First comment on blog 5 questions asked

There is a similar application wherein the GUI is used to modify the PWM of the led through USB HID interface for data transfers on PSoC3/PSoC 5LP devices. You can find some inspiration there. Link: http://www.cypress.com/documentation/application-notes/an82072-psoc-3-and-psoc-5lp-usb-general-data-...

However, I do not have anything similar for PSoC 4 BLE, but you can replicate the same and then use the same GUI from the above project if you do not want to build from scratch. I will try to do the same on my side. Do let me know your observations.

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
First comment on KBA 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

deckhardt,

Please check this PWM generator example with C# GUI by Chris Keeser

Re: PSoC Today: USB / PSoC 3 pulse generator project and source code

/odissey1

0 Likes