CCG2 CYPD2122 I2C programming

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello everyone!

First post here. We have a new design (computer/tablet peripheral) where we use the CCG2/CYPD2122 to have DRP (dual-role power) so that we can implement this scenarios:
1) - when the device/peripheral is only connected to a laptop it will get power (sink) from the USB bus.
2) - when it's connected to a tablet and it is ALSO connected to an external power source (eg. wall adapter) it will provide power (source) to the tablet.

So, we have the prototype ready, it works fine as sink (gets its power from the USB bus) and I'm trying to also make it work as a source using the dual-role power mode. The question I have is this: how can we actually program the CCG2/CYPD2122 chip in-system? Is it possible to only use I2C or do we need to use the SWD pins? I couldn't find any conclusive info/documentation about this.

Also, another related question: for what we need (see above) can we use only the EZ-PD software to make the configuration or do we actually need to do some programming (code) to implement the DRP mode? (the only reversible part is for the power, the data flows only from the host to our device).

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution
ShifangZ_26
10 likes given 250 sign-ins 1000 replies posted

Hello,

1. You could program via I2C bootloader. But the I2C bootloader is follow Cypress HPI SPEC, you have to contact local FAE to get it under NDA.

2. Or you can program via SWD interface. The hardware Tool is MiniProg3.

Related KBA:

CCGx Programming Methods - KBA97271

Programming EZ-PD™CCG2, EZ-PD™ CCG3 and EZ-PD™ CCG4 Using PSoC® Programmer and MiniProg3 - KBA96477

3. You can customize it with SDK: http://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/ez-pd-software-development-kit?source=sear...

Best Regards,

Lisa

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
ShifangZ_26
10 likes given 250 sign-ins 1000 replies posted

Hello,

1. You could program via I2C bootloader. But the I2C bootloader is follow Cypress HPI SPEC, you have to contact local FAE to get it under NDA.

2. Or you can program via SWD interface. The hardware Tool is MiniProg3.

Related KBA:

CCGx Programming Methods - KBA97271

Programming EZ-PD™CCG2, EZ-PD™ CCG3 and EZ-PD™ CCG4 Using PSoC® Programmer and MiniProg3 - KBA96477

3. You can customize it with SDK: http://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/ez-pd-software-development-kit?source=sear...

Best Regards,

Lisa

0 Likes