Looking for details regarding CYW43455 concurrent Station and AP operation

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am trying to determine if the CYW43455 truly supports concurrent Station and AP operation. Discussions on other forums specifically for Raspberry Pi indicate that it does, but details of its operation are mixed. I am trying to determine if the concurrent Station and AP operation can use a different band and channel for the Station and AP. For example the Station is operating using 2.4Ghz, channel 6 while the AP is operating using 5Ghz channel 36. Secondly does AP operation support beaconing multiple SSID's?

0 Likes
1 Solution
GauravS_31
10 questions asked 250 solutions authored 250 sign-ins

CYW43455 supports concurrent AP and STA operation and it is possible to support in the same band , same channel configuration. You can check the apsta snip for reference. However, the softAP does not support multiple SSID beacons.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
GauravS_31

CYW43455 supports concurrent AP and STA operation and it is possible to support in the same band , same channel configuration. You can check the apsta snip for reference. However, the softAP does not support multiple SSID beacons.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the information.

When the CYW43455 is in softAP mode is the number of simultaneous Stations connected to the softAP limited? How does this differ if only operating in AP mode?

Does Cypress have another WiFi only or WiFi+Bluetooth (preferred) solution that will support concurrent AP and STA and also support multiple SSID beacons, much like some retail wireless routers that have a primary and a Guest SSID?

My ideal requirement is to have concurrent AP and STA operation, with the AP and STA band and channel being different, the AP supporting up to 25 simultaneous connections, and having up to two SSID's beacons for the AP. The WiFi needs to support 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual band 2.4/5Ghz, Bluetooth 4.0 minimum support is also required.

GauravS_31

The number of stations that could be connected to the softAP depends on the available RAM in the WLAN chip so basically it is limited. The WICED API wwd_wifi_get_max_associations() would provide the maximum associations allowed on the softAP. But it is possible to have 25 simultaneous STA connections to the softAP. I did not understand your question "How does this differ if only operating in AP mode?" WWD basically supports 4 interfaces: STA, softAP, P2P and ethernet. Our existing broad market solutions do not support multiple SSID beacons or real simultaneous dual band (RSDB). CYW43455 supports 802.11a/b/g/n/ac 2.4/5 GHz with bluetooth 4.2.

grsr wrote:

CYW43455 supports concurrent AP and STA operation and it is possible to support different band and channel for STA and AP based on modification in WICED Wi-Fi config DCT. You can check the apsta snip for reference.

I'm surprised it works with 2.4Gz and 5Gz *at the same time*.

For example the Station is operating using 2.4Ghz channel 6 while the AP is operating using 5Ghz channel 36.

Can you double check?

0 Likes

My bad, I made a mistake while testing. Only APSTA with same channel, same band is supported in 43455.