Q1. How can I flash firmware onto the Target chip without the KitProg present on my board?
There are multiple methods.
- You can use a miniprog to program http://www.cypress.com/documentation/development-kitsboards/cy8ckit-002-psoc-miniprog3-program-and-debug-kit
- You can use use an external IC http://www.cypress.com/documentation/application-notes/an73054-psoc-3-and-psoc-5lp-programming-using-external
- You can bootload
- UART http://www.cypress.com/documentation/application-notes/an68272-psoc-3-psoc-4-psoc-5lp-and-psoc-analog-coprocessor-uart
- I2C http://www.cypress.com/documentation/application-notes/an60317-psoc-3-and-psoc-5lp-i2c-bootloader
- SPI http://www.cypress.com/documentation/application-notes/an84401-psoc-3-and-psoc-5lp-spi-bootloader
Q2. What does internally/externally regulated mode mean?
PSoC has the flexibility to use the internal regulator or external regulator for the device. Please see power system section in the following application note. http://www.cypress.com/file/44581/download
Q3. I am highly confused about the Vref for the SAR ADC. Datasheet suggests that if I choose the input range to "Vssa to Vdda Single Ended" and Reference to "External", my Vref is capped at 2.5V. How does that work? Does the Vref get doubled internally;otherwise how can I measure voltages from Vssa to Vdda Single Ended?
This due to the differential architecture of the SAR ADC. The component just avoids any confusion while selecting the reference by giving you an option to select the range you want to work on, and the rest of the configuration will be taken care by the component.
I hope this answers your question.
Thank you very much for replying with detailed resources.
I am fairly certain that my doubts about the first and second question have been cleared. However, just to get an explicit answer for the third question : While trying to measure voltages using SAR ADC, I can either use Internal or External Vref (both capped at 2.5V) and I can measure voltages in the 0-5V range?
Apologies for pestering. Thanks.
The internal reference is 1.024V. In that case the range will be 0 to 2.048 in single ended mode. You can use a VDAC for this purpose, and set it to 2.5 V for 0-5V range output. The simplest solution will be selecting VSSA to VDDA option in the component. Please see the attached image.