CY4531 CCG3 Schematics

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I have been doing some tests on the CY4531 EVK and since it works the way I wanted, I am going to be designing a new board according to my desired functionality.

I was struggling to understand how some of the schematics for the CY4531 works so I was wondering if there was any help or some type of document that explains how the schematics works?

Regards,

Bilal

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi Bilal,

1. For PPS support, CCG3 is not limitation on this, the difficult is the AC/DC and DC/DC convector, since PPS support need to adjust 20mV unit on VBUS when the request is PPS. If you are going to design a power adapter and support PPS smoothly, recommend you use CCG3PA.

2. If Type-C power adapter which works on the power profile voltages of 5,9,12,15,20V. for the PPS option, you can refer below table:

pastedImage_0.png

And below table:

pastedImage_1.png

Best Regards,

Lisa

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
ShifangZ_26
10 likes given 250 sign-ins 1000 replies posted

Hi Bilal,

May I know whether the schematic can help you out or not? Or you can specified your questions in this threads, we can clarify it.

Best Regards,

Lisa

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Lisa,

I have the following questions based on the schematics:

1. What is the purpose of the USB-2 connector on the baseboard as the connector on the daughtercard is used for programming?

2. Are the FETs on page 5 of the daughtercard  schematics used for voltage control or for current sense? Is this also part of the circuitry for OVP or OCP?

3. How does the J7 power output header receive power from the USB-C port? As the USB-C power is Type-C_VBUS and the output header power is USB_C_PWR.

4. How does the Voltage feedback system (Vfb) on page 1 of the baseboard schematics work?

Sorry for the many questions but if you can answer these it would help me greatly. Thanks.

Kind Regards,

Bilal

0 Likes

Hi Bilal,

Refer my comments as below:

1. What is the purpose of the USB-2 connector on the baseboard as the connector on the daughtercard is used for programming?

>> J7 is for CY7C65215, it is USB2.0 to I2C and UART bridge. Which is used for I2C bootloader CCG3 and debugging CCG3.

2. Are the FETs on page 5 of the daughtercard  schematics used for voltage control or for current sense? Is this also part of the circuitry for OVP or OCP?

>> Those is for Disable and Enable VBUS path. There are two path with four MOS FETs. Provider path is used for Type-C at power source role. Consumer path is used for Type-C at power sink role. Please notice that Type-C's VBUS is 0V when there is no Type-C device attached. This is difference with USB3.0/2.0.

OVP is depends on VBUS_DISCHARG_P1 (pin#32), CCG3 have compactor inside of pin#32 to measure VBUS voltage timely.

OCP is depends on Rsense (R1)and CSP pin on CCG3, CCG3 have LSSCSA inside to measure the current.

3. How does the J7 power output header receive power from the USB-C port? As the USB-C power is Type-C_VBUS and the output header power is USB_C_PWR.

>> J7 is connected to USB_C_PWR_P1 from daughter board, you can see the USB_C_PWR_P1 is sink power from Type-C port via power consumer path. CCG3 VBUS_C_CTRL will control the logic of enable and disable power consumer path as per negotiation on Type-C port and VBUS voltage and current status.

4. How does the Voltage feedback system (Vfb) on page 1 of the baseboard schematics work?

>> You can refer the truth table of below (It is along with the schematic). If you want to know how to calculate it, I have to recommend you refer to datasheet of NCP1034.

pastedImage_0.png

Best Regards,

Lisa

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Lisa,

Thank you for the information.

I have a question regarding the programmable power supply (PPS). I see there is an option in the configuration utility software where in the sink PDO, instead of choosing a fixed supply, a programmable power supply can be selected. I am currently using a Type-C power adapter which works on the power profile voltages of 5,9,12,15,20V. for the PPS option, would I need a Power Adapter that supports PPS or is there another way to use the programmable power supply as I understand this option gives option to use the full 0-20V voltage range?

Kind Regards,

Bilal

0 Likes

Hi Bilal,

1. For PPS support, CCG3 is not limitation on this, the difficult is the AC/DC and DC/DC convector, since PPS support need to adjust 20mV unit on VBUS when the request is PPS. If you are going to design a power adapter and support PPS smoothly, recommend you use CCG3PA.

2. If Type-C power adapter which works on the power profile voltages of 5,9,12,15,20V. for the PPS option, you can refer below table:

pastedImage_0.png

And below table:

pastedImage_1.png

Best Regards,

Lisa

0 Likes