7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2018 4:00 AM by GuhapriyanT_31

PCB Antenna - which direction will really get me maximum gain (Radiation-Gain Pattern for MIFA - AN91445)

ShLi_2270861

Hi,

Using latest AN91445 RevG. (which is great, BTW) I am designing a PCB antenna.

Reading pages 12-13, I cannot figure out the correct direction in which I can get maximum gain.

In one place the picture shows that maximum gain is transmitted in the direction where the antenna's trace is "open".

In another place there is reference that actually all measurements were taken from the pioneer board - which I have in hand - and actually the actual antenna PCB on the pioneer board is flipped..

So both are using different axis systems and I cannot draw a definite conclusion - is it:

1) maximum gain is obtained in the direction where the antenna's trace is "open".

or

2) maximum gain is obtained in the direction where the antenna's trace is "closed".

I am attaching a "collage" of the relevant references from the AN.

Bottom line - my question is which direction will yield me maximum gain for a given orientation of the antenna.

I'd love to get your feedback on that.

Thanks,

Shachar