8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2018 5:23 PM by BushraH_91

Writing(storing) large data to NAND(S34ML01G)

Hi,

I can write and read multiple pages from SLC NAND flash S34ML01G. We used to accomplish this by transferring data stored as an array from a microcontroller. By now you must have realized that, this eats up the MCU's RAM and limits the amount of data that can be stored in the NAND when large data has to be written to the NAND flash. Hence, we might have to repeat this procedure several times until the required large data is written to the NAND flash memory.

I need help/suggestion on what is the fastest/smartest way around to accomplish this task.

(Probably a PC USB data transfer interface? If yes, how? If No, what other method?)

• 1. Re: Writing(storing) large data to NAND(S34ML01G)
          BushraH_91

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Cypress Community Forum. We have received your inquiry and currently reviewing issue. We will get back to you as soon as we find the resolution.

Have a wonderful weekend

Regards,

Bushra

• 2. Re: Writing(storing) large data to NAND(S34ML01G)
            BushraH_91

Hello

I am not sure if I understand your question. .Are you asking how to allocate MCU’s RAM to do NAND programming?

If yes then Cypress recommends the most efficient and simplest way is to allocate one page size RAM, main+spare areas, then program NAND one page a time.

Have a wonderful day

Regards,

Bushra

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Writing(storing) large data to NAND(S34ML01G)

Hi Bushra,

Thanks for your input. We are already implementing this scheme, when we need to flash only few pages(since the MCU's RAM size is limited and less than that of S34ML01G). Because, if we have to store blocks of data, we had to redo the entire process again and again.

Hence, what I want to know is how to program/flash multiple pages(or blocks) of data into S34ML01G at a time, without having to use my main MCU's RAM.

(Hint: Is there any tools: hardware/software where in we can simply put the data, allocate memory locations and it will write into the NAND flash's memory? which will save production time)

• 4. Re: Writing(storing) large data to NAND(S34ML01G)
                BushraH_91

Hello

Hence, what I want to know is how to program/flash multiple pages(or blocks) of data into S34ML01G at a time, without having to use my main MCU's RAM.

From the highlighted text above, can you please let us know where do the data come from, if you are not in CPU RAM already?

Thank you

Regards,

Bushra

• 5. Re: Writing(storing) large data to NAND(S34ML01G)

The current scenario is:

Suppose I wanted to write 4224 bytes of data into page 1 and 2 of NAND, I assign a variable character array of size 4224(2112 x 2) to store the data temporarily. Then the microcontroller reads this array in increasing index and writes it in the NAND(page-wise).

Now, I think I am pretty clear.

So, now I want to write large amount of data(which is greater than the microcontroller's flash memory), hence storing the data into an array is not feasible. Therefore, I have this question what should be done in this case?

• 6. Re: Writing(storing) large data to NAND(S34ML01G)
                    BushraH_91

Hello,

Thank you for waiting.

As long as the MCU has room for one page, i.e. 2KB + spare, can you write one page at a time to NAND from this memory?

You do not need to store all data into the MCU flash memory before writing to NAND. You just needs to store one page at a time.

Thank you

Regards,

Bushra

• 7. Re: Writing(storing) large data to NAND(S34ML01G)

Correct. I know this can be done. But, this will take a long time, if the data is huge i.e for eg64 pages × no. Of blocks. Which will take a lot of time, right? Any better way than this is my question.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 12:20 AM, buha<community-manager@cypress.com> wrote:  

#yiv0695077782 * #yiv0695077782 a #yiv0695077782 body {font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;}#yiv0695077782 #yiv0695077782 h1, #yiv0695077782 h2, #yiv0695077782 h3, #yiv0695077782 h4, #yiv0695077782 h5, #yiv0695077782 h6, #yiv0695077782 p, #yiv0695077782 hr {}#yiv0695077782 .yiv0695077782button td {}

|

Cypress Developer Community 

|

Writing(storing) large data to NAND(S34ML01G)

reply from buha in SLC NAND Flash - View the full discussion

Hello,

Thank you for waiting.

As long as the MCU has room for one page, i.e. 2KB + spare, can you write one page at a time to NAND from this memory?

You do not need to store all data into the MCU flash memory before writing to NAND. You just needs to store one page at a time.

Thank you

Regards,

Bushra

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on Cypress Developer Community

Start a new discussion in SLC NAND Flash by email or at Cypress Developer Community

Following Writing(storing) large data to NAND(S34ML01G) in these streams: Inbox

This email was sent by Cypress Developer Community because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from Cypress Developer Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

• 8. Re: Writing(storing) large data to NAND(S34ML01G)
                        BushraH_91

Hello,

We are not aware of any other way.

Thank you

Regards,

Bushra