ble customer services and naming

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
HeGi_2497906
Level 5
Level 5
100 replies posted 50 replies posted 25 replies posted

How do I change the name that is shown in Cysmart from Unknown, I started with the IAS example, and the "find me" service has a name, but I cannot find in settings or code how it got its name so I can name my services and not have 7 unknowns, unless you dig down to the descriptor.

MY BLE services, the immediate alert is displayed as "Find Me" in Cysmart, all others appear as Unknown, WHY and how do I change them to their names?

Screenshot_2018-07-13-15-52-20.pngScreenshot_2018-07-13-15-52-24.png

pastedImage_0.png

Herb

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello Herb,

There are set of BLE defined services (and corresponding UUIDs) that the whole world knows. As all know these services, most of the manufacturers design the App to recognize the standard services.  

But as Custom services are different deal, because all manufacturers or application developers have their own, they need to add the information in their designed app so that they can be recognized. Cypress does some Custom Services (like Capsense, RGB LED control, OTA) and have defined them in the CySmart App.

Unfortunately providing user defined name for every Custom Services that user is defining is not available in CySmart App now. We will look up and try to update in latest versions of CySmart App.

Thanks,

PSYU.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Yugandhar
500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted 5 likes given

Hello Herb,

It is not possible to name a Custom Service we have to identify particular Custom Service with their UUID only. For standard services it has their own name so we can easily identify in App. The only reason that the CySmart BLE app( or any app) has a "friendly" name for any service is that app has its own internal UUID-to-name look up table for known services. So for standard service(like Find Me) it has fixed UUID value the app will change particular UUID to some name so we can see the name in App but for Custom Service it is not possible.

Thanks,

PSYU.

0 Likes

Thank you for the answer, unfortunately that does not solve the issue. 

Perhaps Cypress could improve Cysmart and allow UUIDs to be given names, or provide a field in the BLE stack to allow for that?

0 Likes

Hello Herb,

There are set of BLE defined services (and corresponding UUIDs) that the whole world knows. As all know these services, most of the manufacturers design the App to recognize the standard services.  

But as Custom services are different deal, because all manufacturers or application developers have their own, they need to add the information in their designed app so that they can be recognized. Cypress does some Custom Services (like Capsense, RGB LED control, OTA) and have defined them in the CySmart App.

Unfortunately providing user defined name for every Custom Services that user is defining is not available in CySmart App now. We will look up and try to update in latest versions of CySmart App.

Thanks,

PSYU.

0 Likes

Of course Apps like LightBlue will read and see if there are  names for characteristics and services... and CySmart could do that...

I agree with Herb that would be a nice improvement.

0 Likes