FX3 device showing as "unknown device" in device manager of window 7

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
rasa_3547096
Level 1
Level 1
First like given

Hello

1.when host(PC) is connected through  USB3.0 A to FX3 the host is showing "unknown device".How to rectify this problem.

2.The 3rd pin of USB3.0 A connector is showing 3.3V in addition to 5V in 1st pin after FPGA is programmed and signals and clock are given to FX3.Why is it so?.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi,

If possible please swap D1 [DQ31] back with E4 [I2S_clk] and check whether the device is enumerating. I mean correct the circuit and then check for enumeration.

Thanks & regards

Abhinav

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9 Replies
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
abhinavg_21
50 likes received 25 likes received 10 likes received

Hi,

Please tell me whether the default FX3 bootloader is enumerating or not? Are you able to program the FX3 using Control center?

Also mention which firmware example you are using?

Try with the attached FW code. I have disabled the USB3.0 connection in the attached firmware. If your board has some problem with the USB3.0 connection then it should enumerate with the attached firmware over USB2.0 lines. Remove the .txt extension once you download it.

Thanks & regards

Abhinav

0 Likes

Hello Abhinav,

Thank you for the reply

Below are the  answers to your question.

1.Boot loader is not enumerating

2.When clock is given I am getting the message"device is not recognized " in windows.

3.I could not program through control centre .

4.I think there is no problem regarding USB 3.0 in board.But thank you for the FW ,i will try.

1.Is Firmware  required for USB detection which is mounted on the board?

0 Likes

Hello abhinav,

1.In addition to the above reply I want to tell that FX3 is mounted on a separate PCB board and it is not  the evaluation board provided by the vendor.

2.We have followed the schematic guidelines ,and it is checked on our board

3.PMODE is correctly configured

4.Clock frequency at CLKIN pin is checked.

0 Likes

Hi Rajagopalan,

Boot loader has to enumerate if all the hardware connections are done properly and PMODE signals are selected for USB Boot. Could you please share your board Schematic with exact values for capacitors, so that I can debug the root cause for the problem.

Please tell me whether the custom board is enumerating fine without connecting FPGA to FX3?

Thanks & Regards
Abhinav

Hello abhinav,

Thank you for your kind reply

1.Our board schematic is same as FX3 eval board(CYUSB3014-003).

2.The clock at "clkin" pin is 38.4 MHz from FPGA instead of crystal  input.

3.It is not enumerating when FPGA is not connected to HOST(PC),moreover it does not show any kind of identification in PC .

0 Likes

Dear Abinav,

I have made a custom board with fx3 which communicates data through FPGA to PC. but, it is showing "Unknown device" when connected to PC.

Where as when EVM kit is connected, it is working just fine.

Following configuration is used in the board:

1. Synchronous Slave FIFO Interface with  32-bit Data Bus.

2. 38.4-MHz input CLK

3. Interface frequencies up to 96.8Mhz
4. PMode [Z11]

As of now, while comparing the schematic, I have found that pin D1 [DQ31] is interchanged with E4 [I2S_clk], though I am not using I2S mode and all other pins i.e D2,D3 and C4 are not connected.

I need to know, what could be the possible reasons for the device not getting detected and what are the repercurssions of the two interchanged pins.

0 Likes

Hi Rajagopalan,

There are some hardware design guidelines provided by cypress in following application note:

http://www.cypress.com/documentation/application-notes/an70707-ez-usb-fx3-fx3s-hardware-design-guide... .

If your device is not enumerating even with Bootloader then there is some problem in the hardware.

Please check your schematic according to the above mentioned AN 70707.

Thanks & regards

Abhinav

0 Likes

Hello abhinav,

Thank you for kind reply

These guidelines were followed and no deviations from the guidlines.

0 Likes

Hi,

If possible please swap D1 [DQ31] back with E4 [I2S_clk] and check whether the device is enumerating. I mean correct the circuit and then check for enumeration.

Thanks & regards

Abhinav

0 Likes