CyUSB3 : Cypress VID/PID allowed in third party INF ?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I went through the driver resell process for cyusb3 for win10, and it appears to be installing and working.  Excellent, thank you.   However, the modified driver package that I submitted only included our company's USB devices (VID/PIDs).   I would like to also add a default Cypress VID/PID to our INF so that we can easily program new/blank boards we receive.  From the CyUSB.pdf this seems perfectly fine ?   I wanted to check before submitting another modified package on the microsoft hw dashboard.

Specific questions:

1. Are third parties allowed to add Cypress VID/PIDs to their driver package for resell ?

2. If I can add Cypress VID/PIDs  (or if I need to add our own new VID/PID), do I need to submit this new INF to cypress  or can I just upload another modified driver package to the dashboard (same as initial one)?

2.a.  If I need to submit an INF to cypress first, how would I go about doing that now that technical cases are gone ?

Thanks,

Erik

0 Likes
1 Solution
SrinathS_16
1000 replies posted 750 replies posted 500 replies posted

Hello Erik,

- Third party vendors are generally not allowed to add Cypress VID/PID in the CyUSB3.INF file. The problem is that when you push the driver for Windows Update, the Cypress VID/PID also gets pushed to the WU. This can cause problems when other customers use the same Cypress VID/PID and the driver comes up with a different name string.

Best regards,

Srinath S

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
SrinathS_16
1000 replies posted 750 replies posted 500 replies posted

Hello Erik,

- Third party vendors are generally not allowed to add Cypress VID/PID in the CyUSB3.INF file. The problem is that when you push the driver for Windows Update, the Cypress VID/PID also gets pushed to the WU. This can cause problems when other customers use the same Cypress VID/PID and the driver comes up with a different name string.

Best regards,

Srinath S

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks that makes sense.  I think internally we'll probably enable test-signing on the machine(s) and use an unsigned driver for initial programming.

0 Likes