Can we authenticate ble pairing on devices with no input and no output capabilities?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I'm using BLE 4.2 in a project with GAP security level "Unauthenticated pairing with encryption" since I have no I/O capabilities currently available. I was wondering if there's any standard way to implement authentication for such devices? Is dedicating a GATT characteristic to exchange custom authentication keys, a good idea?

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution
GyanC_36
Employee
Employee
250 replies posted 100 replies posted 50 replies posted

Hello,

You can do the Authenticated pairing by using the hard coded  fixed passkey in your firmware.

Please note that for Authenticated pairing ,you can not select the IO capabilities as "No Input No Output". So in the BLE component configuration you can select either Display or Both "Display and key board"  ( even though you don t have any I/O )  and on pairing passkey request on Client side ,you can directly enter the Fixed hard coded passkey.

Please refer the attached project.

-Gyan

View solution in original post

3 Replies
GyanC_36
Employee
Employee
250 replies posted 100 replies posted 50 replies posted

Hello,

You can do the Authenticated pairing by using the hard coded  fixed passkey in your firmware.

Please note that for Authenticated pairing ,you can not select the IO capabilities as "No Input No Output". So in the BLE component configuration you can select either Display or Both "Display and key board"  ( even though you don t have any I/O )  and on pairing passkey request on Client side ,you can directly enter the Fixed hard coded passkey.

Please refer the attached project.

-Gyan

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Gyan.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe there are some other No IO authentication/bonding examples floating around the forums if you search a little bit

0 Likes