Migrating from S29AL032D to S29GL064N

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am trying to utilize the S29GL064N with TI's SM320C6455 DSP. Previously the flash memory that came with this dev board TMDSDSK6455 TMS320C6455 DSP Starter Kit (DSK) | TI.com  was the S29AL032D. Going through the "new" driver's code and looking at some of the pinouts, it looks like software should be compatible with the newer flash device. I am not able to use the program method to flash the new memory. I've also gone through this document provided by Cypress http://www.cypress.com/documentation/application-notes/an98568-migrating-s29al032d-s29gl032n-and-s29...  for porting concerns. Any thoughts?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sudheesh,

I was able to figure out where I went wrong. During 8 bit addressing, the addresses are different than the 16 bit. Also somehow running a chip erase command allow writing to some spots but, not erasing wouldn't allow me to write to other spots.

The older S29AL032D did not care for address lines.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
SudheeshK
250 sign-ins First question asked 750 replies posted

Hello Cong Do,

Could you please provide the complete part number and package of S29GL064N  and S29AL032D that you are using?

S29GL064N is a 64Mbit memory and will have an extra address line than 32Mbit S29AL032D. How are you connecting this extra address line on your board?

Thanks and Regards,

Sudheesh

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sudheesh,

The extra address line (A21) is pulled low. I am also using 8 bit mode so BYTE# is pulled low. I do not have the specific part number but S29GL064N90 and S29AL032D90 is labeled.

Cong

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does the S29GL064N90 flash need to be unlocked or "woken" up prior to reading, writing, programming, or erasing?

Regards,

Cong Do

0 Likes
SudheeshK
250 sign-ins First question asked 750 replies posted

Hello Cong Do,

I hope you are testing fresh S29GL064N devices and observing this issue. Please follow the command sequence mentioned in datasheet for program, erase and read operations. Please refer 'table 19' in the datasheet for the command sequence for different operations. Datasheet link: http://www.cypress.com/file/202426/download.

I would like to know some more information about the issue.

1. How are you making sure that the programming operation is finished? (before reading and verifying data).

2. Are you using 'data polling' after program and erase operations to check if any errors happened?

3. Please let me know the command sequence that you followed to program/erase the device S29GL064N.

4. What is the expected data and the actual data that you read when this issue happens?

5. Can you send a photo of top markings of the devices S29GL064N and S29AL032D that you use?

Thanks and Regards,

Sudheesh

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sudheesh,

I was able to figure out where I went wrong. During 8 bit addressing, the addresses are different than the 16 bit. Also somehow running a chip erase command allow writing to some spots but, not erasing wouldn't allow me to write to other spots.

The older S29AL032D did not care for address lines.

0 Likes