I need to design universal temperature system data logger? How to get started? How to choose microcontroller in cypress

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
prbh_3338016
Level 4
Level 4
10 likes given 5 likes given First like received

Cypress is little bit confusing. Like other microcontrollers here I dont find easy selector tool for choosing micro controller.  I need to design universal temprature logger i.e thermocouple and rtds as well as current loops 0-20ma , 0-4ma.

How to start with cypress? I am finding difficulty here

0 Likes
1 Solution
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Welcome in the forum!

Yes, it might be a bit confusing with all the different families of PSoC1, 3, 4, 5 and 6.

I would suggest you to focus on PSoC4 at first. When it turns out that the Project needs quite more you may choose a PSoC5 later.

There are a lot of prototyping boards which are very helpful to build a proof-of-concept or a project prototype. For your requirtements

• Download and install PSoC Creator 4.2 (this is the actual version)
  • Get hands on a Prototyping Kit like this one
  • View Alan Hawse in his introduction videos (You will have to search for PSoC4)
  • Use the "Find Example Project" from Creator start page nd search for temperature to get an overview what is already available.

Happy coding

Bob

View solution in original post

0 Likes
10 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Welcome in the forum!

Yes, it might be a bit confusing with all the different families of PSoC1, 3, 4, 5 and 6.

I would suggest you to focus on PSoC4 at first. When it turns out that the Project needs quite more you may choose a PSoC5 later.

There are a lot of prototyping boards which are very helpful to build a proof-of-concept or a project prototype. For your requirtements

• Download and install PSoC Creator 4.2 (this is the actual version)
  • Get hands on a Prototyping Kit like this one
  • View Alan Hawse in his introduction videos (You will have to search for PSoC4)
  • Use the "Find Example Project" from Creator start page nd search for temperature to get an overview what is already available.

Happy coding

Bob

0 Likes

Thanks a lot Bob,

Sir Does psoc means single microcontroller with extended analog functions

which can be programmed. Is it single chip psoc for product development .

If yes then Which microcontroller of Cypress does this job?

As I.am.in India I have to check the availability for the same.

Does dev boards make used of single psoc chip or various other dedicated

ic's for achieving the goal

On Tue, May 29, 2018, 2:10 PM bob.marlowe <community-manager@cypress.com>

0 Likes

The difference between PSoC and the rest of the MCU world is:

PSoCs contain (besides an ARM CPU) configurable (routable) internal hardware that can be combined to fulfill the project needs.

The prototyping kits (US $ 10.00) do not have additional chips on the pcb except a snap-off programmer/debugger.

There are "Pioneer boards" which contain some extraneous hardware as FRam, accelerometer, light sensor etc. (theFRAM could be great for data logging...)

Call to

Cypress Semiconductor - Bangalore 

#65/2, Bagmane Tech Park,
Block 'C', "Bagmane Laurel", C V Raman Nagar,
Bangalore, Karnataka 560 093 India
Phone: 91-80-67073999
Fax: 91-80-67073000
Mr. Aurobind Rath,  aurobind.rath@cypress.com

... and don't call me "Sir" 😉

Bob

0 Likes
prbh_3338016
Level 4
Level 4
10 likes given 5 likes given First like received

I got success in interfacing the thermocouple, the sd card, the lcd, the uart. but i have failed interfacing the PT100 rtd using 3 wire  connection. I am trying to source the 1ma from IDAC inbuilt to psoc. But how to calculate further.

0 Likes

Fine that you got so far! What was the reason your PT100 failled? Can you please post your complete project together with a short description what  went wrong, so that we all can have a look at all of your settings. To do so, use

Creator->File->Create Workspace Bundle (minimal)

and attach the resulting file.

Bob

0 Likes

Resp BOB,

i am having trouble in understanding the interface of 3 wire RTD. I have one RTD pt100 which has two white and one red wire.

two are positive and red is to be grounded. I am willingly use constant current excitation process. For this i am using IDAC  from psoc 4.2. Now i dont know how to read Voltage of rtd . Should i use differential SAR or single ended SAR.

0 Likes

Example Of RTD in 4.2 psoc creator shows four wire interface. Can I alter the design for three wire rtd.

Psoc creator 4.1 doesnt show rtd example

0 Likes

Hello Pratik,

Kindly refer to our Application Note AN70698 - PSoC® 3, PSoC 4 and PSoC 5LP – Temperature Measurement with an RTD. It explains two-, three- and four-wire RTD temperature measurement.

Thanks,

Sampath

0 Likes