Can I put MCU into deepsleep while scanning for advertising packet?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it possible to put MCU to deepsleep while scanning for BLE advertising packets? I'm able to put MCU to deepsleep during advertising period. But when I do both advertising and scanning, it does not seem to go to deepsleep. I will go to deepsleep after it stops scanning. So, I wonder whether it can be done. Thank you so much in advance. I really appreciate for your help.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

The CPU can be off while the actual hardware radio is advertising/scanning, so being able to enter Sleep mode is expected.

If you make the scanning window smaller than the interval, and then attempt to enter deep sleep mode on the event_close occurence, then you should be able to see the power savings

Best of luck,

epratt

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

What is the scan interval and scan window being set in the design? If both are the same there will be continuous scanning that might prevent the device from entering to sleep.

You can refer to the below application note which explains using BLE and low power modes

http://www.cypress.com/documentation/application-notes/an92584-designing-low-power-and-estimating-ba...

Thanks,

Ranjith

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Afaik, you can only advertise or scan, but not both simultaneously. Otherwise, as rjks​ stated, you will need to check the scanning interval/window to see if there is a period of time where the radio is inactive, otherwise it will be on the whole time and prevent low-power savings.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks so much rjkse.pratt_1639216 . I'm able to put the MCU to sleep while scanning and advertising but not deep sleep. In sleep mode, it consumes almost 1mA. I will take a look at the scanning interval/window to try to reduce the power consumption. Thank you so much.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

The CPU can be off while the actual hardware radio is advertising/scanning, so being able to enter Sleep mode is expected.

If you make the scanning window smaller than the interval, and then attempt to enter deep sleep mode on the event_close occurence, then you should be able to see the power savings

Best of luck,

epratt

0 Likes